Deploying My Rails App

I have just finished my first Rails application following the lynda.com tutorial, but I am not sure how to get my application on the internet.

I have an ftp account through the applemachine server, but from what I have read, I'm afraid I will not be able to host my application there.

What I am looking for is step by step directions on how to get from a working Ruby on Rails application in development to an online application through my applemachine server.

by applemachine do you mean a Mac or is that a specific provider>

Fred

Well, a lot of this is very new to me, but I am using Cyber Duck to login in to the ftp account, and when logging in under server I put 'applemachine'.

Furthermore, when I connect to my other webpages, the address goes to: applemachine.com/myWebpage.

I hope that answers your question.

Cheers!

- Gabe

Well, a lot of this is very new to me, but I am using Cyber Duck to login in to the ftp account, and when logging in under server I put 'applemachine'.

Furthermore, when I connect to my other webpages, the address goes to: applemachine.com/myWebpage.

I hope that answers your question.

Not entirely. The important information is:   - what is that machine running   - what degree of control do you have on it (eg if it didn't have
ruby installed on it, could you install ruby on it?)

Fred

Okay, my host is GoDaddy. Sorry for the confusion.

I don't think godaddy has rails support. If you're starting out, try hostingrails.com

If you're not tied to using GoDaddy, you might consider checking out Rails Boxcar[1], which is a pre-configured Rails VPS.

[1] http://railsboxcar.com/

Could simplify your deployment process quite a bit. :slight_smile:

Robby

You have to make sure the server that u install your app in has ruby and rails installed in to it. The person which host your server should guide you on how to install your app into the server, it will be different for every server because u have to change the environmental variables in your rail app. btw last time i checked the lynda tutorial was using rails 1.2, the current version is 2.1 so u might want to check if your app will work on a rails 2.1 if the server is running that.