Data structure for "linked list"

Folks,

I'm trying to figure out the best approach to creating a linked list conceptually in RoR. This is what I'm looking at doing and want to know if there is a best practice approach to this already (my search didn't seem to indicate this) OR if I'm completely off base on the naming convention I'm using:

category table id name

categories_categories table (not defined as a model; should it be?) id category_id parent_category_id

Then I should be able to do things like this...

Fruit -> Berry -> Blueberry Fruit -> Berry -> Raspberry Fruit -> Apple -> Rome Food -> Fruit Food -> Beverage etc.

where I create these by recursively(?) accessing the categories_categories data joined to the category data. The start of a category will be implied where parent_category_id is 0. And those parent records could be a foreign key like so

categories_categories_object table object_id categories_categories_id

where object is the other model/table in the many-to-many relationship. Is this the appropriate way to do something like this? If not, could someone point me to some documentation or an example of how I should be handling this.

Thanks, Jack

I just found some info in the Agile Rails book and with a bit more searching I discovered I could look into one of these:

acts_as_list acts_as_tree acts_as_nested

I don't think the list feature works since I'm looking at a hierarchy and want to be able to re-use the same term in different levels.

Can acts_as_tree allow for multiple trees? i.e. more than one NULL parent_id?

This also seems to imply that I do want to make my categories_categories table a full blown model, with a better name of course.

Could someone confirm I'm on the right track?

Thanks, Jack

http://www.koders.com/ruby/fidCB5A463AB556F4FFD20E03139FF59563B118D108.aspx?s=socket