Finding Listings that Belong to Categories

I have two models that are playing nicely together. The first is the Category model that uses acts_as_tree to create a hierarchy of categories based on parent_id. Example:

Category 1   Sub 1   Sub 2     Subsub 1       Subsubsub 1     Subsub 2   Sub 3 Category 2 Category 3

Etc...

The second is a Listings model that has a many-to-many relationship to the Categories model using has_many :through

So here's my question: How would I go about finding all of the listings in "Sub 2" AND below?

Doing a find for the listings that belong to Sub 2 is obviously very easy, but what about including subsub 1, subsubsub1, and subsub 2 and returning all tof the results in one instance object (like @listings)?

Any general idea of how to go about this would be helpful. I'm pretty new at this so I hope i'm clear enough in my explanation. Thanks!

recreant wrote:

I have two models that are playing nicely together. The first is the Category model that uses acts_as_tree to create a hierarchy of categories based on parent_id. Example:

Category 1   Sub 1   Sub 2     Subsub 1       Subsubsub 1     Subsub 2   Sub 3 Category 2 Category 3

Etc...

The second is a Listings model that has a many-to-many relationship to the Categories model using has_many :through

So here's my question: How would I go about finding all of the listings in "Sub 2" AND below?

Doing a find for the listings that belong to Sub 2 is obviously very easy, but what about including subsub 1, subsubsub1, and subsub 2 and returning all tof the results in one instance object (like @listings)?

Any general idea of how to go about this would be helpful. I'm pretty new at this so I hope i'm clear enough in my explanation. Thanks!

You should add nested-set capability to the model:    GitHub - chris/better_nested_set: better_nested_set Rails plugin (my fork from official SVN)    GitHub - collectiveidea/awesome_nested_set: An awesome replacement for acts_as_nested_set and better_nested_set.