Could not load the bundler gem. Install it with `gem install bundler`. (RuntimeEr ror)

I am getting an error while starting the server in terminal using the cmd : ruby/script/server -p3000

error : /home/ubuntu/Aptana Studio 3 Workspace/my_project/config/../config/ preinitializer.rb:5: Could not load the bundler gem. Install it with `gem install bundler`. (RuntimeError)         from /home/ubuntu/Aptana Studio 3 Workspace/my_project/config/ boot.rb:28:in `load'         from /home/ubuntu/Aptana Studio 3 Workspace/my_project/config/ boot.rb:28:in `preinitialize'         from /home/ubuntu/Aptana Studio 3 Workspace/my_project/config/ boot.rb:10:in `boot!'         from /home/ubuntu/Aptana Studio 3 Workspace/my_project/config/ boot.rb:125         from script/server:2:in `require'         from script/server:2

I am using rails 2.3.4 and ruby 1,8,7.

Can anyone help me out in this issue...

Thanks in advance --Arun

Hi Arun,

Have you fixed the problem? I got a similar problem with the following setup. Can you share with me on how to fix it? Thanks.

i've set up my win7 64bit box for ROR development. i got every thing installed but now i'm stuck at debugging my application. i installed aptana studio 3 and tried to run 'debug server', the following errors returned.

Fast Debugger (ruby-debug-ide 0.4.16, ruby-debug-base 0.10.4) listens on 127.0.0.1:55255 C:/Ruby/work/whistle/config/../config/preinitializer.rb:8 C:/Ruby/work/whistle/config/boot.rb:28:in load' C:/Ruby/work/whistle/config/boot.rb:28:inpreinitialize' C:/Ruby/work/whistle/config/boot.rb:10:in boot!' C:/Ruby/work/whistle/config/boot.rb:126 c:/Ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:ingem_original_require' c:/Ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in require' C:\Ruby\work\whistle\script\server:2 c:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-debug-ide-0.4.16/lib/ruby-debug-ide.rb:112:indebug_load' c:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-debug-ide-0.4.16/lib/ruby-debug-ide.rb:112:in debug_program' c:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-debug-ide-0.4.16/bin/rdebug-ide:87 c:/Ruby/bin/rdebug-ide:19:inload' c:/Ruby/bin/rdebug-ide:19 Uncaught exception: Could not load the bundler gem. Install it with gem install bundler.

i'm pretty sure it's related to rmagick, but i don't know what i've done wrong. i use bundler for gem management. if i comment the "gem "rmagick", "2.12.0"" line in gemfile, i can successfully start the server by running "ruby script/server". i just don't know what's wrong with the debug.

can anybody tell me what is going wrong? how can i fix it? thx.

windows 7 prof 64bit aptana studio 3 ruby 1.8.7 rails 2.3.14 ruby-debug-base 0.10.4 ruby-debug-ide 0.4.16 rmagick 2.12.0 (C:\Ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\rmagick-2.12.0-x86-mswin32) imagemagick (C:\Program Files (x86)\ImageMagick-6.5.6-Q8) bundler 1.0.18 gemfile (gem "rmagick", "2.12.0") preinitializer.rb require 'rubygems' require 'RMagick' require 'bundler'

batterhead

Yes I am replying to a 9 year old problem. Lee M here. Here are some things to look at if you have problems running “gem install” or “gem update” . Also, if you have run “sudo rails new appname” or "sudo … " anything involving rails. I believe the background story is the rails website generator software is intended to allow developers to use Windows, Apple or Linux. These three operating systems have slight differences in how they do file permissions when the system is copying files from a remote website. Example one of something going wrong is if on Linux you become desperate to complete the step of installing gems with “gem install”. If you go “sudo gem install” the gems install but every file copied inherits root:root privileges. Look at the permission error messages. Linux has a “locate” utility to find all files of a given name. If you find a directory full of obviously Rails related files that has root:root permissions, you can switch the directory back like this chown -R lmckusic:dialout /usr/local/bin. Use your username instead of lmckusic. When the command executes as hoped, then preface it with sudo.

1 Like