Cookie Problem on Safari

I have a 2.0.2 app that I'm developing locally using Mongrel. I'm using active_record_store for sessions and have uncommented the secret in the protect_from_forgery call. Everything works fine locally.

I uploaded the app to my server yesterday so I could show some progress to a client. The server is running LiteSpeed Standard 3.3.11. The app works correctly in Firefox, but not in Safari (3.1.1 Mac). I tracked the problem down to the session_id cookie not being created in Safari, so a new session is created on every server hit and I get blasted with InvalidAuthenticityToken errors.

Since I have cookies enabled in Safari (it's my primary browser), my first thought was LiteSpeed is not writing cookies to Safari correctly, if that's even reasonable. To test that theory, I launched another application that I have had on that server for many months and has been working fine. But to be thorough, I made sure it wrote a cookie correctly. The odd thing is that it's a Rails 1.2.3 application, but is using the cookie session store. Since cookies work correctly in the 1.2.3 app but not in the 2.0.2 app, I'm inclined to think this is a Rails problem and not a LiteSpeed one.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have not yet been able to find any related posts via this forum or Google, but I might not have hit on the right search term combination yet.

Any help or direction will be very much appreciated.

Peace, Phillip

After analyzing packets with tcpdump and comparing Firefox and Safari hitting LiteSpeed, Mongrel, and Apache, I discovered the problem on a whim.

Underscores in the hostname.

Yes, you read that correctly. Apparently Safari 3.1.1 will not write a session cookie if there are underscores in the hostname. My original dilemma was with the URL

sports_dev.livingdoor.net

and the working site on the same server was

vsiep.livingdoor.net

I set up a more controlled test with new applications (in both Rails 1.2.6 and 2.0.2) and the urls were

cookie_test_126.livingdoor.net cookie_test_202.livingdoor.net

The cookie did not get created in Safari for either one. But when I changed one of them to

cookietest202.livingdoor.net

the cookie was successfully created.

I have submitted a bug report to Apple.

Peace, Phillip

This is from the Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic Syntax

2.3. Unreserved Characters

Characters that are allowed in a URI but do not have a reserved    purpose are called unreserved. These include uppercase and lowercase    letters, decimal digits, hyphen, period, underscore, and tilde.

unreserved = ALPHA / DIGIT / "-" / "." / "_" / "~"

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986

Through the years I have had numerous of issues using with clients using underscore in their domain name. It's my recommendation to not use underscore in your url.

More specifically, the host name is constrained to have only letters, digits, and hypens per RFC 1035: Domain names - implementation and specification (section 2.3.1 reproduced here):

Rob Biedenharn wrote:

So it is more likely correct behavior from Safari in its refusal to store a cookie with an underscore-containing host name.

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsultingllc.com Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

Thanks to both of you for clarifying that. It's frustrating that Firefox makes an allowance for the underscore. In my naivete, I assumed that it was a bug in Safari and not a departure from the standards in Firefox.

Peace, Phillip

Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:

Could you let me know the bug # so I can follow up on it?

(I'm a Safari QA engineer, and every once in a while I mine this list to see if all bugs are being tended to.)

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Phillip Koebbe

It doesn't appear to be a bug after all. A couple of the more knowledgeable readers of this list pointed out that the underscore is not part of the standard, and therefore Safari is just being compliant. It was my mistake, not Safari's.

Peace, Phillip

Phillip Koebbe wrote:

Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:

Could you let me know the bug # so I can follow up on it?

(I'm a Safari QA engineer, and every once in a while I mine this list to see if all bugs are being tended to.)

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Phillip Koebbe

It doesn't appear to be a bug after all. A couple of the more knowledgeable readers of this list pointed out that the underscore is not part of the standard, and therefore Safari is just being compliant. It was my mistake, not Safari's.

Peace, Phillip

Seems like a bug to me. The standard says that underscores are not valid in hostnames. By that logic your site would not work, or not be accessible if it was using an underscore.

The fact that your site worked fine, but the browser would not accept cookies for the domain is a bug for sure. It resulted in you having to pull out a packet sniffer in order to figure it out. Anything that causes that much frustration for developers is probably something the Safari team wants to get ironed out.

The expected to behavior would be that that would either work 100%, or it would not work at all. Not some confusing mix in the middle of partially working functionality.

Alex Wayne wrote:

Seems like a bug to me. The standard says that underscores are not valid in hostnames. By that logic your site would not work, or not be accessible if it was using an underscore.

The fact that your site worked fine, but the browser would not accept cookies for the domain is a bug for sure. It resulted in you having to pull out a packet sniffer in order to figure it out. Anything that causes that much frustration for developers is probably something the Safari team wants to get ironed out.

The expected to behavior would be that that would either work 100%, or it would not work at all. Not some confusing mix in the middle of partially working functionality.

Ah, well, good points. In either case, I don't have a bug number. I used the Report Bugs to Apple... option under the Safari menu.

Peace, Phillip