Session lost with IE7 but not FF... 8 hours hit head/wall

Our production site works great on IE7/FF but SAME code on test server
fails for IE7...works great with FireFox. We've spent 8 hours on this
problem now about we're about to jump off bridge.

I appears cookies are lost with IE7. I've seen another post here but
not a solution.

Our development.log shows:

Redirected to http://beta.mysite.com/login/login
Filter chain halted as [:authorize] rendered_or_redirected.

A Microsoft post says to set the domain for the session cookie. Does
anyone know how to do that for Rails?

Any other feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.

Pete

Hope this link helps you:
http://szeryf.wordpress.com/2008/01/21/cookie-handling-in-multi-domain-applications-in-ruby-on-rails/

Regards

Peter Alvin escribió:

Our production site works great on IE7/FF but SAME code on test server
fails for IE7...works great with FireFox. We've spent 8 hours on this
problem now about we're about to jump off bridge.

I appears cookies are lost with IE7. I've seen another post here but
not a solution.

Our development.log shows:

Redirected to http://beta.mysite.com/login/login
Filter chain halted as [:authorize] rendered_or_redirected.

A Microsoft post says to set the domain for the session cookie. Does
anyone know how to do that for Rails?

Any other feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.

Pete
  

/**
* dagi3d.net v4 - http://dagi3d.net
*/

I would take a step back and try running the test server in
"production mode" by simply changing the database.yml. This can get
the apples to apples comparison even closer and might yield different
results. Rails behaves a little different in my experience in each of
the modes.

Also look at your session storage mechanism if not file based.

H

Thanks for your suggestions!

We figured it out. IE misbehaves if the subdomain has an underscore in
it. Ours did.

Pete

Peter Alvin wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions!

We figured it out. IE misbehaves if the subdomain has an underscore in
it. Ours did.

Pete

Actually, some would argue that IE did the right thing, sort of, and
that Firefox misbehaved. I ran into the same problem a number of months
ago with Safari. Firefox worked, but Safari didn't. It was the same
problem. A couple of people posted and pointed out that the RFC for URLs
does not permit underscores in the hostname (what you are calling the
subdomain, I think). The funny part is that if the browsers were
completely standards compliant, the web sites shouldn't work in them at
all. In my case (and I think your's), you can access the web sites, but
it's the cookie that's failing.

Peace.