config/environment.rb

HI Steve,

I read the documentation and at one point it says to "require [rails_file_column.rb] file from your 'config/environment.rb' (after rails has been loaded) to integrate the file_column extension into rails."

Did you put the plugin under /vendor/plugins/? Then you needn't any requirements of this Plugin in your environment.

Im my view, I have something like

<%= image_tag url_for_file_column("product", "image"), {:class => "produktbild" } %>

HTH, Beate

i had the same problem when i first tried file_column. i figured it out by reading through 'file_column_helper.rb' that is installed with the plugin in the lib directory. here's what i found:

object = instance_variable_get("@#{object.to_s}")

basically it gets a reference to the _INSTANCE_ variable that is being referred to by the first string you pass to url_for_file_column.

this means that in your case you need a variable named "@product" that holds a reference to the product you're trying to display the image of. For instance, just try adding this to the top of your template and see what happens.

<% @product = product %>

a cleaner solution would probably be to set this instance variable somewhere inside the controller that renders your template code.

hope that helps, -jcs

I encounter the same problem. What I did is change      <%= image_tag url_for_file_column("product", "image_url") %> to      <%= image_tag url_for_file_column(product, "image_url") %>

and it works.

This is inspired by Jason S.'s post above, in 'file_column_helper.rb', it will check if the first parameter is a string or symbol, and tries to get the object from it.

Since in your case, product is already an obj, you can just pass it in directly.

-Michael Claim: I don't read gmail.