I thought I would update this for anyone who finds it in a search and
needs help getting this working.
I believe my problem stemmed from using Pik and having two versions of
Ruby installed. I'm not entirely sure about this but after removing it
everything worked after I reinstalled it all. Here was the process for
Windows Vista running Ruby192.
1. I first uninstalled everything. I uninstalled all versions of ruby/
gems, pik, and devkit. Restarted my PC.
2. I installed this version of Imagemagick into C:\ImageMagick-6.6.7-9-
Q16, I checked every option during the install except for telling it
to associate this program for file types or whatever:
3. Inside of c:\ImageMagick-6.6.7-Q16\config I deleted the type-
ghostscript.xml file and replaced it with a windows version which I
And I put that inside of c:\ImageMagick-6.6.7-Q16\config.
4. Next I downloaded and installed Devkit:
5. Then I installed the rmagick gem from the cmd command line I ran:
gem install rmagick --platform=ruby -- --with-opt-lib=C:
This installed the gem just fine. If it doesn't try closing and
reopening your command prompt.
6. I also called the rmagick gem from my gemfile:
Some other problems I ran into was sqlite3 not working properly you
might need to download and extract both of these files into your
I also had a problem with rake afterwards which I needed to update in
the command line:
gem install rake
Then everything worked fine.