Can't get v. 1.0.0 of SQLServer ActiveRecord adapter

I am attempting to get the 1.0.0 version of the SQLServerAdapter from the gems.rubyonrails.org gem repository.

It isn't there. See below:

~ weyus$ sudo gem install activerecord-sqlserver-adapter --source http://gems.rubyonrails.org --version 1.0.0. Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyonrails.org/ Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyonrails.org/ ERROR: could not find activerecord-sqlserver-adapter locally or in a repository

Now if I don't ask for a specific version (by removing the --version option above), I get the very latest point revision in the repository, which is 1.0.0.9216, along with the latest point revisions of both activerecord and activesupport (2.0.2.9216).

sudo gem install activerecord-sqlserver-adapter --source http://gems.rubyonrails.org Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyonrails.org/ Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyonrails.org/ Successfully installed activesupport-2.0.2.9216 Successfully installed activerecord-2.0.2.9216 Successfully installed activerecord-sqlserver-adapter-1.0.0.9216

I'm not interested in being this "close to the edge".

Is there any way that I can get the 1.0.0 version of the SQLServer adapter?

Thanks, Wes

P. S. Somewhat related (given the point releases above) is that once I install this adapter, gems.rubyonrails.org is automatically added to my sources for gem, and then if I ask for a gem update for Rails, I will get the very latest point release of all of the Rails components. Again, I really don't want them. I have to remove the gems.rubyonrails.org source to keep this from happening.

Download the source from svn/github and build it yourself? I would imagine the 1.0.0 release would have been tagged (and if not you should be able to work out when it what revision corresponds to the release).

Fred

Fred,

Is there an official released version of the SQL Server adapter? I was assuming it's 1.0.0, but maybe it's not, maybe it's 1.0.0.9216. (I wonder if this is the case for all non-standard AR adapters)

If it is 1.0.0.9216, then I assume I need to use this point rev. of Rails, which is 2.0.2.9216.

Are these point releases stable or are they nightly snapshots? I've

It's not even a nightly snapshot - it just means revision 9216 from svn. The reason that the gems get the revision number appended is basically so that the next version of rails looks like a newer version (ie 2.1 > 2.0.2.9216). The whole point of ousting the adapters out of core was so that development and release of these adapters is not tied to the same release schedule as the rest of rails. As it happens, subversion seems to say that the sqlserver adapter basically hasn't changed since 2.0.0 was released (ie 1.0.0 of the adapters) (just a missing require somewhere) and so you'd be perfectly safe using the latest and greatest, and that would not require you to run edge rails itself (and if the gem itself says so you should be able to fix that quite easily.

heard too many stories of people on edge who waste hours tracking down bugs that someone checked in to edge. If these are snapshots that are very close to edge, I'm not really interested in developing against "nightly build" type releases if I can avoid it. Perhaps I'm being too conservative.

It's understandable. I don't run production stuff against edge.

Sure, I can look around in the SVN/github repo. and find what I need myself, but I feel like the distribution of the SQL Server adapter should be a little more straightforward that that.

Arguably, but these sort of things are very much dependent on whether someone steps up and handles these sorts of issues, so hassle the maintainer, volounteer to help out yourself etc...

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

It's not even a nightly snapshot - it just means revision 9216 from svn. The reason that the gems get the revision number appended is basically so that the next version of rails looks like a newer version (ie 2.1 > 2.0.2.9216).

So this means these "release numbers" basically identify individual builds?

The whole point of ousting the adapters out of core was so that development and release of these adapters is not tied to the same release schedule as the rest of rails.

I definitely get this, and agree with the new setup. But it seems like when the adapters got pulled out of Rails, they were not themselves "promoted" to units of software that are released, just like activerecord, actionpack, etc. To me, since they were basically extracted out of activerecord, they should be managed in the same way from a release perspective.

Sure, I can look around in the SVN/github repo. and find what I need myself, but I feel like the distribution of the SQL Server adapter should be a little more straightforward that that.

Arguably, but these sort of things are very much dependent on whether someone steps up and handles these sorts of issues, so hassle the maintainer, volounteer to help out yourself etc...

I wonder if this shows up as an issue with the other "second tier" AR drivers, I will try and check a couple out. I'm willing to help, but it kind of feels like this is the job or whoever maintains the package, so I either need to get them to do it, or become that person.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

Wes

Frederick Cheung wrote:

It's not even a nightly snapshot - it just means revision 9216 from svn. The reason that the gems get the revision number appended is basically so that the next version of rails looks like a newer version (ie 2.1 > 2.0.2.9216).

So this means these "release numbers" basically identify individual builds?

Yup. Individual check-ins (9216 is the latest you'll see though now that rails has moved to git)

The whole point of ousting the adapters out of core was so that development and release of these adapters is not tied to the same release schedule as the rest of rails.

I definitely get this, and agree with the new setup. But it seems like when the adapters got pulled out of Rails, they were not themselves "promoted" to units of software that are released, just like activerecord, actionpack, etc. To me, since they were basically extracted out of activerecord, they should be managed in the same way from a release perspective.

I think it's just lack of love. For the sql server adapter at least, there's only been a handful of commits. I know for a fact that AR's unit tests are currently most likely broken for sql server (because I broke them)

Fred