bundler does not work as advertised!

I changed some gem versions in my Gemfile, and then I did:

$ bundle install Using rake (0.9.2) Using abstract (1.0.0) Using activesupport (3.0.9) Using builder (2.1.2) Using i18n (0.5.0) Using activemodel (3.0.9) Using erubis (2.6.6) Using rack (1.2.3) Using rack-mount (0.6.14) Using rack-test (0.5.7) Using tzinfo (0.3.29) Using actionpack (3.0.9) Using mime-types (1.16) Using polyglot (0.3.1) Using treetop (1.4.9) Using mail (2.2.19) Using actionmailer (3.0.9) Using arel (2.0.10) Using activerecord (3.0.9) Using activeresource (3.0.9) Using annotate (2.4.0) Using bundler (1.0.15) Using diff-lcs (1.1.2) Using nokogiri (1.5.0) Using rdoc (3.8) Using thor (0.14.6) Using railties (3.0.9) Using rails (3.0.9) Using rspec-core (2.0.1) Using rspec-expectations (2.0.1) Using rspec-mocks (2.0.1) Using rspec (2.0.1) Using rspec-rails (2.0.1) Using spork (0.8.4) ****************<<<<<<<<<<<****** Using sqlite3-ruby (1.2.5) Using webrat (0.7.1) Your bundle is complete! Use `bundle show [gemname]` to see where a bundled gem is installed.

Now I want to run spork 0.8.4 (as listed in the Gemfile):

$ bundle exec spork /Users/Me/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p180@rails3tutorial/gems/spork-0.9.0.rc8/lib/spork/test_framework/cucumber.rb:2: warning: already initialized constant DEFAULT_PORT /Users/Me/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p180@rails3tutorial/gems/spork-0.9.0.rc8/lib/spork/test_framework/cucumber.rb:3: warning: already initialized constant HELPER_FILE /Users/Me/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p180@rails3tutorial/gems/spork-0.9.0.rc8/lib/spork/test_framework/rspec.rb:2: warning: already initialized constant DEFAULT_PORT /Users/Me/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p180@rails3tutorial/gems/spork-0.9.0.rc8/lib/spork/test_framework/rspec.rb:3: warning: already initialized constant HELPER_FILE Using RSpec Loading Spork.prefork block... Spork is ready and listening on 8989!

It appears to me that the spork version being executed is the version that used to be in the Gemfile--not the version that is currently specified in the gemfile. I don't really care what version of spork executes, but autotest stopped working when I updated some gems to newer versions in my Gemfile, so I tried specifying all the old versions again, but spork

Here is the autotest error:

/Users/Me/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p180/bin/ruby -rrubygems -S /Users/Me/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p180@rails3tutorial/gems/rspec-core-2.6.4/bin/rspec --tty '/Users/Me/rails_projects/sample_app/spec/controllers/pages_controller_spec.rb' '/Users/Me/rails_projects/sample_app/spec/controllers/users_controller_spec.rb' '/Users/Me/rails_projects/sample_app/spec/models/user_spec.rb' '/Users/Me/rails_projects/sample_app/spec/requests/layout_links_spec.rb' Exception encountered: #<OptionParser::InvalidOption: --tty> backtrace: .....

I changed some gem versions in my Gemfile, and then I did:

$ bundle install ... Using rspec (2.0.1) Using rspec-rails (2.0.1) Using spork (0.8.4) ****************<<<<<<<<<<<****** Using sqlite3-ruby (1.2.5) Using webrat (0.7.1) Your bundle is complete! Use `bundle show [gemname]` to see where a bundled gem is installed.

What does bundle show spork show?

Colin

$ bundle show spork /Users/Me/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p180@rails3tutorial/gems/spork-0.8.4

$ bundle show spork

/Users/Me/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p180@rails3tutorial/gems/spork-0.8.4

Hi, please do the following:

$ bundle update spork

$ bundle exec spork

Good luck,

-Conrad

I get the same autotest error after doing that.

Can you execute your tests without spork and autotest? If so, can you

execute your test with spork?

-Conrad

Conrad Taylor wrote in post #1011168:

Can you execute your tests without spork and autotest?

Yes.

If so, can you execute your test with spork?

I don't know what that means. In any case, I deleted my whole gemset and started over, and now I can run autotest again.

Conrad Taylor wrote in post #1011168:

Can you execute your tests without spork and autotest?

Yes.

If so, can you

execute your test with spork?

I don’t know what that means. In any case, I deleted my whole gemset

and started over, and now I can run autotest again.

I was trying to get you to go through a process of elimination.

-Conrad