Basic: lost mysql command line after install

I've searched the archives and went through the FAQ's and install HOWTO's.

But after following the current (4/11/07) install guide on Dan's Hivelogic page,

successfully, through every step. I've gotten no errors mentioned in this page.

And installed mysql as noted which upgraded mysql to 5.0 for the powerpc.

Here is my config as noted by the Ruby Welcome Aboard page:

Ruby version 1.8.6 (powerpc-darwin8.9.0) RubyGems version 0.9.2 Rails version 1.2.3 Active Record version 1.15.3 Action Pack version 1.13.3 Action Web Service version 1.2.3 Action Mailer version 1.3.3 Active Support version 1.4.2 Application root /Users/sam/testapp Environment development Database adapter mysql

I had trouble with Dan's page because my .bash_login would not find the new Ruby. As you can see above I have overcome it and find MySQL in /usr/local/mysql-standard-5.0.15-osx10.3-powerpc/bin/mysql_config

But I cannot run mysql from the command line: slim:/usr/local/mysql/bin sam$ mysql -bash: mysql: command not found

Here is echo $PATH /usr/local/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

This is pretty basic, but I've not wrapped my head around .bashrc, but it appears that mysql should be found by the command line.

I've started up another terminal window to access mysql.

This is pretty basic, but perhaps some kind soul will take pity on me. I'm trying to update the password, which I expect to do from the command line, thanx, sam

Wanzie wrote:

I've searched the archives and went through the FAQ's and install HOWTO's.

But after following the current (4/11/07) install guide on Dan's Hivelogic page,

Dan Benjamin

successfully, through every step. I've gotten no errors mentioned in this page.

And installed mysql as noted which upgraded mysql to 5.0 for the powerpc.

Here is my config as noted by the Ruby Welcome Aboard page:

Ruby version 1.8.6 (powerpc-darwin8.9.0) RubyGems version 0.9.2 Rails version 1.2.3 Active Record version 1.15.3 Action Pack version 1.13.3 Action Web Service version 1.2.3 Action Mailer version 1.3.3 Active Support version 1.4.2 Application root /Users/sam/testapp Environment development Database adapter mysql

I had trouble with Dan's page because my .bash_login would not find the new Ruby. As you can see above I have overcome it and find MySQL in /usr/local/mysql-standard-5.0.15-osx10.3-powerpc/bin/mysql_config

But I cannot run mysql from the command line: slim:/usr/local/mysql/bin sam$ mysql -bash: mysql: command not found

Here is echo $PATH /usr/local/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

This is pretty basic, but I've not wrapped my head around .bashrc, but it appears that mysql should be found by the command line.

I've started up another terminal window to access mysql.

This is pretty basic, but perhaps some kind soul will take pity on me. I'm trying to update the password, which I expect to do from the command line, thanx, sam

For security reasons, by default, executables in your current directory need to be run by prefixing a "./" (no quotes) in front of the program name as in:

./mysql

"." is the current directory so "./" is the "path" to a file in the current directory. You have to put the "/" in there otherwise the shell thinks you are trying to access a dot file like your .bashrc.

This is to prevent somebody from, for example, installing a "hacked" version of ls on your machine and sticking it in your home directory so that any time you typed "ls" in there you would be running the hacked version instead of the version out of /bin.

You can override this behavior by sticking "." in your path statement. However that's not recommended for non-root accounts, in general, and you should never do that for the root account.

As a helpful hint you can type "which <program>" as in:

which mysql

to show you where the program can be found using your current PATH setting. If it doesn't find anything the program is not in your PATH.