Bad experiences with ruby on rails 3.0 :(

I just installed it and it seems like everything goes smoothly... but I'm having one hurdle after another installing a new application. I've had to get various dlls for sqlite, mysql and msvcrt-ruby18, or things out-right crashed.

I've had an error where rails though I didn't have rake installed... but the gem was installed. I had to remove a file called rake.gemspec and reinstall rake for everything to work.

I don't mean this to sound bad, but for a framework that claims to "just work", it certainly has it's share of bugs or hurdles. Maybe it's just because I run windows 7 64-bit. I dunno :frowning:

These seem like platform issues to me, an area that Java really does have a leg up on. At least when you install java... it works :confused:

I'll keep playing with it. I hope after these hurdles, everything will eventually just work.

Ruby support for Windows has sometimes been a bit shaky. I recommend rubyinstaller.org for a one-click windows installer. It includes all the little libraries and binaries that ruby needs to work properly on windows and it worked well for me.

You will also need to install whichever databases you’re going to use which is obviously a bit less smooth on Windows without the assistance of a package manager. In the case of SQLite it should just be a case of downloading the dll and putting it into your ruby\bin folder.

After that Rails should just install from the gems.

I realise this reply is a little academic as it sounds like you’ve already solved your installation problems. :slight_smile: But try rubyinstaller if you have to reinstall at some point. And yes, it is a question of the platform you’re using. It seems to me that Windows has generally been a second-class citizen in the Ruby world.

Mark

egervari wrote:

I just installed it and it seems like everything goes smoothly... but I'm having one hurdle after another installing a new application. I've had to get various dlls for sqlite, mysql and msvcrt-ruby18, or things out-right crashed.

This is a Windows problem not a Ruby on Rails problem.

I've had an error where rails though I didn't have rake installed... but the gem was installed. I had to remove a file called rake.gemspec and reinstall rake for everything to work.

Again you're falsely blaming OS problems on Rails.

I don't mean this to sound bad, but for a framework that claims to "just work", it certainly has it's share of bugs or hurdles. Maybe it's just because I run windows 7 64-bit. I dunno :frowning:

If you use an operating system that "just works" then Rails will also "just work" (generally speaking, of course).

These seem like platform issues to me, an area that Java really does have a leg up on. At least when you install java... it works :confused:

You are correct. It is a platform problem. The issue really is that Windows is treated as a second class development platform within the Ruby and Rails community. IMHO I believe this to be due to the simple fact that the vast majority of the developers actually building Rails are on some form of UNIX/Linux based OS.

I'll keep playing with it. I hope after these hurdles, everything will eventually just work.

I actually do hope that things will eventually improve on Windows. Not for myself since I have no interest in anything Windows, but for those who either choose Windows or don't have a choice.

However, having said that I would not recommend you holding your breath waiting on the Rails core team to fix this. It's probably going to take a community effort of Windows centric developers to fix this issue. That is if there really is an issue needing fixed that hasn't already been fixed.

Problems get fixed through need. I'm quite sure that fixing Rails on Windows is not a major need of the core team.

You might like to have a look at VirtualRails (http://www.virtualrails.org/) which has had some favourable comments. If possible, however, I would suggest using Rails as an excuse to have a play with Ubuntu. My experience is that after the initial learning curve I have never looked back. It is great to feel in control of ones PC again. One can set one's PC up so that it can be booted into either OS in order to reduce the initial withdrawal symptoms.

Colin

When the windows are opened the bugs come in.

Robert,

While I agree (and as you discovered later, I mentioned it was a platform problem), it is not logical to just blame Windows and leave it as is. The truth is, that is Window's reality, for better or worse. That is what exists, and to not acknowledge what exists and not prepare or do something about such reality is entirely irrational.

Shouldn't Ruby install itself in such a way that makes it work the way Window's works in reality? Yes, it should - even if it's Window's fault - if it wants more developers to use Ruby and to use Rails. It IS in their rational self-interest after all, is it not?

I don't see the point in blaming Windows. Windows is the piece of crap it is... and if you want to do what is in your rational self-interest, the platform should still work on it. I guess rational self-interest and logic doesn't play a part in your world Robert, just some kind of OS fanboyism.

Sheesh.

Ken

RoR is open source software, built to scratch the itch of its developers. You can certainly roll up your sleeves, write some tests and patches and get this corner of the project working better for you, since that's where it's itching for you.

As I'm sure you know, writing software, like anything else, is a series of choices and decisions, largely to do with where you will spend your finite resources.

I doubt sincerely that anyone would rush out to the Best Buy to purchase a PC for the sole purpose of developing on Rails if they already have a Mac (or a penguin); and I doubt that the core developers are laying awake nights worrying about the out-of-the-box experience on that platform. They've got different fish to fry.

But if you're using a Windows computer, and the experience of Rails isn't as nice as you'd like, it's certainly in your best self-interest to make it better. And you'll be a hero to dozens of others stuck in the same camp!

Walter