Autotest or alternative for Rails 3?

Hey people,

I normally used autotest to when writing test which worked just fine until I switched to Rails 3. Now, when I run autotest it tests all tests and gets stuck somewhere: Loaded suite -e Started ...EE..EEE.....................E.................................E.EE..EE..................................E.EE..EE.....................FEE....E

Even after an hour or so it doesn't continue.

I'm using these versions: autotest (4.4.0) autotest-growl (0.2.6) autotest-rails (4.1.0) ZenTest (4.4.0)

Does anyone know a working alternative to autotest? Would be great!

Heinz Strunk wrote:

I normally used autotest to when writing test which worked just fine until I switched to Rails 3. Now, when I run autotest it tests all tests and gets stuck somewhere: Loaded suite -e Started ...EE..EEE.....................E.................................E.EE..EE..................................E.EE..EE.....................FEE....E

Even after an hour or so it doesn't continue.

I'm using these versions: autotest (4.4.0) autotest-growl (0.2.6) autotest-rails (4.1.0) ZenTest (4.4.0)

I don't know for sure what's happening to you, but I've been using autotest just fine with Rails 3 (so far).

However, I your list of gems are somewhat in conflict. ZenTest includes autotest, but you're showing both gems above. If you only need the autotest part of ZenTest then don't install ZenTest. Also, if you install autotest-rails then that will install ZenTest (as a dependency) so don't install autotest-rails either.

Here's the list of autotest gems I've been using successfully with Rails 3 and RSpec on Mac OS X 10.6: autotest autotest-fsevent autotest-growl

If you're on a Mac I highly recommend autotest-fsevent as it's much less burdensome on the system because it eliminates the file system polling. Instead it uses the Finder notification system to detect changes.

"Unfortunately" I'm on Unix so I can't use autotest-fsevent but I have tried to only use: autotest autotest-growl

It doesn't get stuck anymore but I think it's because it doesn't run the tests anymore: Loaded suite -e Started

Finished in 0.016008 seconds.

0 tests, 0 assertions, 0 failures, 0 errors, 0 skips

Test run options: --seed 56908 sh: notify-send: command not found

# Waiting since 2010-09-30 00:00:41