autotest with Growl not working

Hi I'm new and using Ruby on Rails 3 but when I run $ autotest nothing happens (I have growl installed). If I run $ rspec spec then I get the 'Finished in 0.07253 seconds seconds 2 example, 0 failures' message

I have the following gems installed for autotest (checked via $ gem list):

autotest (4.3.2) autotest-fsevent (0.2.4, 0.2.2) autotest-growl (0.2.9, 0.2.4) autotest-rails-pure (4.1.0)

However none of them appear when I use $ bundle show. I read that that was because they are not in my Gemfile for my project, although I do have the following in my .autotest file in my home directory:

require 'autotest/growl' require 'autotest/fsevent'

So I added the lines under my 'group :test do' in my Gemfile

gem 'autotest-fsevent' '0.2.4'   gem 'autotest-growl' '0.2.9'

and ran $ bundle check and get the following error:

Your Gemfile's dependencies could not be satisfied Install missing gems with `bundle install`

which I then try using $ bundle install

Fetching source index for http://rubygems.org/ Could not find gem 'autotest-growl0.2.9 (>= 0, runtime)' in any of the gem sources.

And now I am totally stuck. Any help much appreciated!!

Hi I'm new and using Ruby on Rails 3 but when I run $ autotest nothing happens (I have growl installed). If I run $ rspec spec then I get the 'Finished in 0.07253 seconds seconds 2 example, 0 failures' message

I have the following gems installed for autotest (checked via $ gem list):

autotest (4.3.2) autotest-fsevent (0.2.4, 0.2.2) autotest-growl (0.2.9, 0.2.4) autotest-rails-pure (4.1.0)

However none of them appear when I use $ bundle show. I read that that was because they are not in my Gemfile for my project, although I do have the following in my .autotest file in my home directory:

require 'autotest/growl' require 'autotest/fsevent'

So I added the lines under my 'group :test do' in my Gemfile

gem 'autotest-fsevent' '0.2.4' gem 'autotest-growl' '0.2.9'

That should be gem 'autotest-fsevent', '0.2.4' gem 'autotest-growl', '0.2.9' with commas.

You can see this if you look at your gemfile it will have something like gem 'rails', '3.0.4' near the top.

Colin

Thanks Colin! sorry for the stupid error!

I am now getting something new:

h-3.2$ bundle exec autotest /Users/mattmurphy/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@rails3tutorial/gems/ bundler-1.0.0/lib/bundler/shared_helpers.rb:100:in `block in cripple_rubygems': autotest is not part of the bundle. Add it to Gemfile. (Gem::LoadError) from /Users/mattmurphy/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@rails3tutorial/bin/ autotest:18:in `<main>'

From trying to read around maybe something to do with the $LOAD_PATH (what is that) or maybe the Gemfile.lock?

Thanks in advance!

As further investigation I have looked into the shared_helper.rb file in the path of the error and found the code that appears to be testing for it:

spec = specs.find { |s| s.name == dep.name }

if spec.nil?           e = Gem::LoadError.new "#{dep.name} is not part of the bundle. Add it to Gemfile."           e.name = dep.name           e.version_requirement = dep.requirement           raise e

Tried googling 'specs.find' but no luck yet

Ok I've added 'gem 'autotest', '4.3.2' & gem 'autotest-rails-pure', '4.1.0' to the Gemfile for this project and I no longer get the error and I get the following message:

-bash-3.2$ bundle exec autotest loading autotest/rails_rspec2 style: RailsRspec2