authenticity_token sent, still InvalidAuthenticityToken

Hi!

To send the authenticity token from flex back to the server, I followed this: http://blog.dt.org/index.php/2008/06/rails-2-flex-3-and-form-authenticity-tokens/

I have two controllers in my rails app. The method described in the link above works with the actions in one controller, but does not work with the other.

The controller which does not work has just one action which performs a file upload. In this controller, if I don't put "skip_before_filter :verify_authenticity_token" at the top, the file upload doesn't work. I have pasted the upload action below:

def upload_image     directory = "public" + params[ :temp_Image_Location ].to_s     pRandomFileName = params[ :random_File_Name ].to_s     pFileData = params[ :Filedata ]

vFilePath = File.join( directory, pRandomFileName )

succeeded = File.open( vFilePath, "wb" ) { |vBuffer| vBuffer.write( pFileData.read ) }

render(:xml => "<response>Finished!</response>") if succeeded   end

Why is it that the authenticity_token variable is being detected in one controller and not the other? I'd be very grateful if someone could help me out with this.

Thanks. Anjan

Authenticity token is checked for all POST requests (aka POST / PUT / DELETE). If you're doing just GET then the system doesn't look for a token.

An easier way to grab the auth token than what's specified in the blog post is to use ExternalInterface and a javascript function:

html:

<script language="Javascript"> function getAuthKey() { return "<%= form_authenticity_token %>"; } </script>

Flash:

var authToken:String = ExternalInterface.call("getAuthKey");

Which then needs to be added to the .data field of an URLRequest you process.

Hope that helps.

Jason

Hi!

I am using POST, not GET.

Thanks for the tip. I changed my code to use the external interface call from flex. But the problem persists. Even with my previous code, there wasn't any problem in sending the authenticity token from flex to rails. Rails is receiving the token, as shown in the log output.

Processing QuestionsController#insert (for 192.170.50.67 at 2008-10-10 19:39:21) [POST]   Session ID: BAh7BzoMY3NyZl9pZCIlNjJiYjY0OTQ1NGQ3MWI1OWE5OWM2MTMzNzFjNzdj NjQiCmZsYXNoSUM6J0FjdGlvbkNvbnRyb2xsZXI6OkZsYXNoOjpGbGFzaEhh c2h7AAY6CkB1c2VkewA=--8e7dec53efd7dd4aaadd3c78e0b1d224e1cd55e7   Parameters: {"xml_Question"=>"<error>Error</error>", "authenticity_token"=>"26614e317154739eade694d4721873093f317384", "temp_Image_Location"=>"http://192.170.50.67:3000/images/temp&quot;, "action"=>"insert", "uuid"=>"", "controller"=>"questions", "images_To_Be_Moved"=>""} Completed in 0.00364 (274 reqs/sec) | Rendering: 0.00011 (2%) | DB: 0.00000 (0%) | 200 OK [http://192.170.50.67/questions/insert\]

The above is the log output for the controller which works.

The following log output is for the image upload action.

Processing UploadController#upload_image (for 192.170.50.67 at 2008-10-10 19:39:48) [POST]   Session ID: 8ce910b4f637abc4a02844057c6ebc0b   Parameters: {"Filename"=>"France.gif", "authenticity_token"=>"26614e317154739eade694d4721873093f317384", "temp_Image_Location"=>"/images/temp", "action"=>"upload_image", "Upload"=>"Submit Query", "controller"=>"upload", "random_File_Name"=>"1223647783541_517.gif", "Filedata"=>#<ActionController::UploadedStringIO:0x25ee6cc>}

ActionController::InvalidAuthenticityToken (ActionController::InvalidAuthenticityToken):     /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.1.0/lib/action_controller/request_forgery_protection.rb:86:in `verify_authenticity_token'

As you can see, I'm using POST and the "authenticity_token" variable is present. What worked for the first controller, is not working for the second. I can't figure out why.

Any insights?

Thanks. Anjan

Hmm, ok. The only other time I've seen this behaviour is when the cookie for the site isn't getting set, or is getting set with the wrong domain. One quick test, could you compare the authenticity token value as put in the HTML vs what gets passed in as a post parameter?

Jason

I don't understand what you want me to do exactly. Isn't the authenticity token being sent from the HTML to Flex in the first place? That same value is coming back from flex as a POST variable, right?

So how would they differ?

Do you want me to put a text field in the HTML and put the authenticity token into it and check if the POST value matches it?

I'm confused.

One avenue to explore is that the authenticity token is based on the session (either a value in it, or the session etc...) if the flex stuff doesn't use rails' session cookie then you would get an invalid authenticity token error.

Fred

What Fred said. Open up the HTML source in your browser and find the authenticity token. Now open up the web server logs (log/development.log most likely). Now do the post from Flex.

Compare the two values. They're probably different for you and that's what's throwing the error. The difference is because the auth token is built from the session id, and if your session stuff is messed up somehow, Rails will find a discrepency and error out.

Jason

This is in my HTML source:

<script language="Javascript"> function getAuthenticityToken() {   return "86b74406048a7f629bd560eab8de771a74c620be"; } </script>

But is the session id the same for the request for the page where you click upload and for the upload request itself ?(and obviously when the session id changes so does the authenticity token, so that hard coded value in getAuthenticityToken will only get you so far.)

Fred

Any ideas, anyone?

Anjan Tek wrote:

Any ideas, anyone?

It looks as if "Mister" had the same problem. Although he was using JSP, i believe you get a good explanation of what is going on.

"Firefox apparently uses another instance of the browser window to dispatch the uploaded file, this window does not have the session. I searched for some possible answer and it seems you need to ask the correction combination of questions to find the solution. The Flex documentation seems to hint at part of the issue, but nothing direct enough."

Thanks. I'll look closer into that. But I was testing on Safari (Mac) and not Firefox.

But lately, I've been having more problems with the authentication / session ID stuff. More of my actions started giving me the same error. I ended up just switching off the verification authenticity globally. It seems to be such a pain to configure when you are not using plain erb/rhtml web apps.

And surprisingly few people seem to know about these issues.

Thanks again. I just had quick scan over that post you linked to. I'll give it a closer look.

Thanks. I’ll look closer into that. But I was testing on Safari (Mac) and not Firefox.

But lately, I’ve been having more problems with the authentication / session ID stuff. More of my actions started giving me the same error. I ended up just switching off the verification authenticity globally. It seems to be such a pain to configure when you are not using plain erb/rhtml web apps.

And surprisingly few people seem to know about these issues.

Issues that can be overcome very easily (see below). It is a very bad idea to disable the authenticity token, it was put in place to protect your site from malicious attacks.

Thanks again. I just had quick scan over that post you linked to. I’ll give it a closer look.

The solution is pretty simple to be honest:

In your view layout file, add this to the section:

<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">

window._token = '<%= form_authenticity_token -%>';

</script>

In application.js, add the following:

Ajax.Base.prototype.initialize = Ajax.Base.prototype.initialize.wrap(

function(p, options){

p(options);

this.options.parameters = this.options.parameters || {};

this.options.parameters.authenticity_token = window._token || '';

}

);

It will automatically add the authenticity token to ALL ajax requests, even those you invoke from custom code (graceful degrading and/or even delegated events for example).

A similar solution for those swapping out Prototype with JQuery has been posted at http://henrik.nyh.se/2008/05/rails-authenticity-token-with-jquery

As for file uploaders, a normal field within a form (multipart=true) will be sent as part of the form (and isn’t an ajax request in the first place) and shouldn’t be a problem. If you are using ANY other “ajax” uploader, there’s more to it. I already posted several times on how to get SWFUpload to play nicely with Rails, an overview with links to the appropriate posts can be found here:

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/browse_thread/thread/45f70281a5992fa7

Best regards

Peter De Berdt

Hi!

Would your solution above work for Flex apps as well? I'm using no AJAX. Just Flex and rails. Even the upload is done from within Flex.

As I've mentioned previously in the post, I am sending the authenticity token along with all my requests to rails. But the problem is that the authenticity token that is sent become invalid because of a changing Session ID.

Thanks.

Anjan

If you look at the post about getting SWFUpload up and running, you’ll notice there’s a patch for the session handling in there that allows you to pass the session data as normal post parameters instead of a cookie and make Rails detect and use it. Flex being a Flash-based frontend, you should be able to do the same. My guess is that ActionScript will have a similar way of automatically adding that data to each request. Maybe someone on this list has already integrated a Flexbased app this way (I know there are some Flex developers on this list), else you’ll have to ask on a Flex forum/mailing list.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt

Hi I had the same problem. After some digging and http sniffing I found this repo on github that solves the problem: http://github.com/lardawge/swfupload-rails-authentication/tree/master

The workaround is to use a rack file to filter the request from flex:

require 'rack/utils'

class FlashSessionCookieMiddleware   def initialize(app, session_key = '_session_id')     @app = app     @session_key = session_key   end

def call(env)     if env['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] =~ /^(Adobe|Shockwave) Flash/       params = ::Rack::Utils.parse_query(env['QUERY_STRING'])       env['HTTP_COOKIE'] = [ @session_key, params[@session_key] ].join('=').freeze unless params[@session_key].nil?     end     @app.call(env)   end end

I want to find a way that detection flash client. But I cannot.

There isn’t “Flash” string in HTTP_USER_AGENT in Safari.

Someone said check HTTP_X_FLASH_VERSION.

These params appear when I have flash player installed. Also I don’t use flash player visit rails.

So, I don’t know how to detection flash client now?