Amazon SimpleDB ang Ruby

Amazon SimpleDB satisfies the hosting model I need for a project. Unfortunately, looks like it only supports PHP, C#, Java, Perl, and VB.NET. Does anyone know of any work to make it work with Ruby on Rails. Thanks, gk

The first question is whether there’s even a valid and sufficiently complete mapping between ActiveRecord and SimpleDB:

• GET, PUT or DELETE items in your domain, along with the attribute-value pairs that you associate with each item. Amazon SimpleDB automatically indexes data as it is added to your domain so that it can be quickly retrieved; there is no need to pre-define a schema or change a schema if new data is added later. Each item can have up to 256 attribute values. Each attribute value can range from 1 to 1,024 bytes.

• QUERY your data set using this simple set of operators: =, !=, <, > <=, >=, STARTS-WITH, AND, OR, NOT, INTERSECTION AND UNION. Query execution time is currently limited to 5 seconds. Amazon SimpleDB is designed for real-time applications and is optimized for those use cases.

If there is such a mapping, I for one would like to understand the limitations in RoR terminology. And if there is hope for being able to use SimpleDB with my current controllers, I for one would be very interested in contributing to the cause, whether that be coding or testing or docs or possibly even donations.

BTW, I’m working on a related concept: service-oriented memcached for Rails (big memcached in the sky).

Cheers,

m

There are several projects listed on sourceforge (or was it rubyforge?), but all seem to be in the early stages.

What are your requirements? S3, SimpleDB or both?

-- Long

Well, it's the combination of pay-what-you-use hosting plan and the structured data storage system. Any such hosting plan offered for Postgres or MySQL, or SQLite3?

I recently completed work an a proxy server, allowing you to use Simple DB as a backend with Rails ActiveResource framework. Find the results here:

http://inside.glnetworks.de/2008/01/20/bridging-rails-to-amazon-simpledb-using-activeresource/

Cheers, Martin