Amazon S3 Plug-In for Rails?

Well, according to the Basecamp forums, 37signals are planning on using S3 for future storage from their Rails apps for customer data.

We use S3 with great success from a Rails app.

I'm curious - are there any S3 plug-ins out there or anyone with plans for one? Our support is very tailored to our need and not really suitable for an extraction without some re-work.

We might do it if no one else has something going?

Hunter

Hi Hunter,

I havn't seen any S3 plugins for simple file storage.

This would be interesting - I'm pretty much in the same boat that you are. Using S3, but in a very implementation-specific way.

As far as I know there's no S3 plugin, but the Ruby libs provided by Amazon for use with S3 are so simple that you could easily make such a plugin yourself, or just use the S3 lib directly in a model. I'm not using S3 right this minute on any Rails projects (though I'm going to begin to add S3 support to a major app in a week or two) but I was able to hack TextMate's blogging bundle (which is written in Ruby) to use S3 instead of my weblog server's file upload feature in an afternoon.

http://practicalmadness.com/2006/07/fun_with_textmate_and_amazon_s

For my Big Project almost all of my S3-served files will be associated with records in the DB, so the S3 code will be going into a model. Like I said, the S3 libs are super-easy, and before you decide to invest any time in a plugin (vs. using the libs directly) you should look at how you plan to use S3 and decide where it makes the most sense to put the code.

- DD

HH wrote:

I'm curious - are there any S3 plug-ins out there or anyone with plans for one? Our support is very tailored to our need and not really suitable for an extraction without some re-work.

There are two implementations: first is plugin from Amazon, which can be found in Amazon developers resources. Second is gem s33r (http://rubyforge.org/projects/s33r/). Currently I'm using first one, but looking at s33r.