activerecord-jdbc-adapter 0.9 oracle number id problem

I'm having a problem using jruby on rails with a legacy oracle database (Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.3.0). The oracle number primary key is getting converted into a decimal, which is causing restful style URIs not to work. For example I'm seeing URIs like http://localhost:3000/members/show/7201.0?tab=names where the id should be an integer, not a double, and they result in "Missing template" errors.

A friend of mine said that the same problem arose for him when he updated from activerecord-jdbc-adapter version 0.8 to version 0.9, which is what I'm using. Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround short of changing the database to use integer primary keys? That isn't an option for us.

Here's my configuration:

jruby 1.1.6 (ruby 1.8.6 patchlevel 114) (2008-12-17 rev 8388) [amd64-java] rails (2.2.2) activerecord (2.2.2) activerecord-jdbc-adapter (0.9) activerecord-oracle-adapter (1.0.0.9250)

Have you tried the activerecord-oracle_enhanced-adapter ? It solved a number of issues for me.

If you could file a bug [1] and provide a short test case, we'll try to have this fixed for 0.9.1, due out in a week or two. In your example/test case, please be sure to provide the schema or migration that you use to create the table.

Thanks, /Nick

[1]: http://kenai.com/jira/browse/ACTIVERECORD_JDBC

Hello Nick, I experience the same bug described by Mark with version 0.9.1, so I guess he did not file a bug report in Jira. Can you please confirm, so I open a bug ? One last question, when do you plan to release a 0.9.2 version ?

Thanks again for your time and your work you give to the ruby and rails community.

Sylvain

Hi,

I think I've found where the problem is.

In the file lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-jdbc-adapter-0.9.1/lib/ jdbc_adapter/jdbc_oracle.rb, there's this :

module JdbcSpec   ...   module Column   ...     private     def simplified_type(field_type)         case field_type         when /^number\(1\)$/i : :boolean         when /char/i : :string         when /float|double/i : :float         when /int/i : :integer         when /num|dec|real/i : @scale == 0 ? :integer : :decimal         when /date|time/i : :datetime         when /clob/i : :text         when /blob/i : :binary         end     end   end end

When I read my model columns, both integer and number(x,0) Oracle columns report as following :

#<ActiveRecord::ConnectionAdapters::JdbcColumn:0x18af9c0 @precision=nil, @limit=nil, @sql_type="NUMBER", @name="id", @type=:decimal, @scale=nil, @null=false, @primary=true, @default=nil>

As @scale is nil and not 0, the simplified_type returned is :decimal, not :integer.

The corresponding case line :         when /num|dec|real/i : @scale == 0 ? :integer : :decimal should be replaced by :         when /num|dec|real/i : (@scale.nil? || @scale == 0) ? :integer : :decimal

This works fine for me. If it does for you, could you please open an issue so that the next version includes it ?

Kind regards,

Thanks Guillaume, you're terrific !

Guillaume, merci bien pour votres enquêtes.

I can certainly make the fix, but if possible it would be nice to have an Oracle test to verify the problem and ensure we don't regress. Can you tell me how the column in your database is set up so we can create a test case?

Cordialement,

/Nick

Hello,

sorry for answering so late.

Guillaume, merci bien pour votres enquêtes.

You're welcome. Thanks for your work, Nick.

I can certainly make the fix, but if possible it would be nice to have an Oracle test to verify the problem and ensure we don't regress. Can you tell me how the column in your database is set up so we can create a test case?

The ID column is defined as NUMBER(38) and the PAGES is an INTEGER one. The ID is not nullable while the PAGES one is.

Regards,

Hello,

First of all, thank you Guillaume very much for the workaround.

I would like to ask whether this issue had been reported in JRuby bug tracker? If so, does anyone knows the ticket #>I can't find it anywhere...

Since this problem still exists in 0.9.1 version I'd like to stress that it actually renders Rails running on JRuby using Oracle backend (via JDBC adapter) almost inoperational. None of the generated path/URL helpers (model_url, edit_model_path etc.) and functions that use them (like form_for) work. Everything starts running properly with the described workaround in place. Note there still could be a related issue in Rails as well but the BigDecimal typecast for ID column certainly contributes to it.

Thanks

~Ales~

I don't know of one. Ales, if you could create a new issue for this at http://kenai.com/jira/browse/ACTIVERECORD_JDBC, that would be great.

Thanks, /Nick