ActionMailer 2.0.2 NameError

Jonathon Davis-2 wrote:

I'm having a problem with ActionMailer on Rails 2.0.2.

app/config/environment.yml

----------------------

ActionMailer::Base.delivery_method = :smtp ActionMailer::Base.server_settings = {     :address => "my.server.address.com",     :port => 25,     :domain => "my.server.domain.com",     :authentication => :login,     :user_name => "test_mailer@my.server.domain.com",     :password => "my_password"   }

And here's my output:

=> Booting WEBrick... C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.2/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:266:in `load_missing_constant': uninitialized constant ActionMailer (NameError)         from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.2/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:453:in `const_missing'         from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.2/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:465:in `const_missing'         from C:/InstantRails/rails_apps/rails_space/config/ environment.rb:64         from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.2/lib/ initializer.rb:47:in `run'         from C:/InstantRails/rails_apps/rails_space/config/ environment.rb:13         from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 27:in `gem_original_require'         from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 27:in `require'         from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.2/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:496:in `require'          ... 8 levels...         from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.2/lib/commands/ server.rb:39         from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 27:in `gem_original_require'         from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 27:in `require'         from script/server:3 Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, I had this problem as well, I searched around a bit in the base.rb(X:\ruby\libs\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\actionmailer-2.0.2\lib\action_mailer\base.rb) and found the problem(for me anyhow). Instead of "ActionMailer::Base.server_settings = { .. ect .." they have it defined as "ActionMailer::Base.smtp_settings = { .. ect .." to define our smtp servers parameters.

Taken directly from base.rb:

# * <tt>smtp_settings</tt> - Allows detailed configuration for :smtp delivery method:   # * <tt>:address</tt> Allows you to use a remote mail server. Just change it from its default "localhost" setting.   # * <tt>:port</tt> On the off chance that your mail server doesn't run on port 25, you can change it.   # * <tt>:domain</tt> If you need to specify a HELO domain, you can do it here.   # * <tt>:user_name</tt> If your mail server requires authentication, set the username in this setting.   # * <tt>:password</tt> If your mail server requires authentication, set the password in this setting.   # * <tt>:authentication</tt> If your mail server requires authentication, you need to specify the authentication type here.

As for where to place it definitely create it it's own file in the initializers directory with your connection info, and not at the end of the environment.rb (\yourapp\config\initializers\action_mailer.rb)

Here is what the file(action_mailer.rb) should look like:

ActionMailer::Base.delivery_method = :smtp ActionMailer::Base.smtp_settings = {    :address => "localhost", # or an external ip if your using a remote smtp    :port => 25,    :domain => "domainnamehere",    :authentication => :login,    :user_name => "username here",    :password => "passwordhere" }

Cheers, Ziggah