[ActionCable Javascript Package] Converting library to JavaScript from CoffeeScript

Hello all,

I made a post on the issue tracker (https://github.com/rails/rails/issues/33331) and was directed here. My question is about the Rails actioncable library that is currently written in CoffeeScript, my question is as follows:

Is there a reason why this library is sticking to CoffeeScript?

I would be willing to re-implement the library in JavaScript if there are no major roadblocks. CoffeeScript was a great tool in its time, but today having the library be written in JavaScript would make things a lot easier for new contributors. I wanted to add two separate PRs to the library, adding dynamic authorization support, and supporting react native/vue native. However, having the library written in CoffeeScript poses more roadblocks for me because I now need to brush back up on a language that hasn’t been in use really for a couple years.

I wanted to ask here first and make sure I am not going to be wasting effort, if there was some legacy reason or support issue that forces the library to continue to be in CoffeeScript.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Never used CoffeeScript as I prefer toi use javaScript even in Rails

I never used coffee script either, I use plain js

My understanding is that Rails was moving away from CoffeeScript and towards modern JavaScript. This seems like it would be a welcome addition.

+1 Javascript over Coffeescript