CoffeeScript

Hello,

is CoffeeScript going in to Rails Core in the future?

I'm a bit sceptic about setting on a technology for a long term project that is not supported by Rails by default.

Cheers, Norman

Lots of technologies are not directly supported by the core team, and yet are widely used by the community, for short and long-term projects. To cite a few: Redis, Haml, MongoDB…

The biggest changes in Rails 3 (IMHO) are about ease of extension and increased compatibility with 3rd party tools. Implementing the ActiveModel interface let's you use model-layer libraries that are guaranteed to interact properly with the rest of the framework (Mongoid does this). ActionView provides a set of tools to register template renderers that can then cleanly and transparently be used in your application (as Haml does).

Even if CoffeScript is not supported by the core team themselves, they've made the framework accessible for third-party authors to build robust libraries that integrate well. I use CoffeScript with Rails[*] (and have seen plenty of other apps/developers do) without any problem whatsoever.

If I were you, I wouldn't be concerned about what exact tools ship with the Rails gem. Since a lot of code in the framework is there just to make sure third-party tools play well with the framework and with each other.

Cheers,

[*] using the Barista library https://github.com/Sutto/barista