X is not missing constant Y

Moving my app from rails 1.2 to rails 2.1, I stuck into this weird problem?

X is not missing constant Y.

The problem occurs when I use the join table association.

X.find(1).y

It works in (script/console) but not in browser?

Anyone have any experience with this issue?

It would be better if you explained what X and Y were and how they relate to each other. Could you please do that for us? Thanks.

Ryan Bigg wrote:

It would be better if you explained what X and Y were and how they relate to each other. Could you please do that for us? Thanks.

It's fixed :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Jamal Soueidan wrote:

Moving my app from rails 1.2 to rails 2.1, I stuck into this weird problem?

X is not missing constant Y.

The problem occurs when I use the join table association.

X.find(1).y

It works in (script/console) but not in browser?

Anyone have any experience with this issue?

Yes! and the really bizarre part of the problem is that the same Rails version worked OK in WinXP

My problem appeared when I had the following in let's say legacy_data_models.rb

module LegacyDataBaseStuff $olddb = {some_db_options}

Class OldParentItem < ActiveRecord::Base has_many :old_child_items establish_connection $olddb end

Class OldChildItem < ActiveRecord::Base belongs_to :old_parent_item establish_connection $olddb end

end

Then in a rake task to import things from a legacy database I'd open a parent like so

parent = LegacyDataBaseStuff::OldParentItem.find :all

which works until I'd try

parent.old_child_items

which would give me exactly the error you're getting "X is not missing constant Y"

I worked around the problem by taking the models out of the module and just putting everything in the rake file. Not clean but it did the job and the job only needed to be done once.

I'd be interested to know how your situation compares

Cheers

John Small

Well don't leave us hanging--how'd you fix it? :wink:

Roy Pardee wrote:

Oh I thought I'd explained it in the previous message. I took the class definitions out of the module, and moved them into the rake file. That did the trick.

I suspect that the problem has something to do with the associations being to ActiveRecords that are declared inside modules and then used outside those modules. But I've not had a chance to play around to find out.

John Small

Roy Pardee wrote: > Well don't leave us hanging--how'd you fix it? :wink:

Oh I thought I'd explained it in the previous message. I took the class definitions out of the module, and moved them into the rake file. That did the trick.

If you were previously using require to require files in your app then that can screw things up big time.

Fred

Roy Pardee wrote:

Sorry, I went home from work before but now I'm online again.

class Blog::Post < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :category end

class Blog::Category < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :posts end

Error:

Blog is not missing constant Post

so I just did this :slight_smile:

class Blog::Post < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :category, :class_name => "Blog::Category", :foreign_key => :category_id end

class Blog::Category < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :posts, :class_name => "Blog::Post", :foreign_key => :category_id end

and then it works :slight_smile:

Frederick Cheung wrote: > If you were previously using require to require files in your app then > that can screw things up big time.

> Fred

A very mysterious clue! How would require mess things up? This is something we all need to know. I certainly do, it's quite hard for me to find out about all the little hidden undocumented tricks that one needs to know to become a true pro.

Short version: because requiring files that could be loaded by rails' dependency system confuses said system (in development mode) long version: Required or Not ? - Space Vatican

Fred

Excellent explanation, I guessed it must be down to something like that but didn't have time to muck around to find the correct solution so I bodged it.

I think it might be a good idea to try and get your solution integrated into the api documentation. I've googled around and found other people wrestling with this issue and there will be more in the future. It's nice to have a clear explanation in the official docs.

John Small

Jamal Soueidan wrote: