WYSIWYG / content formatting suggestions?

Hey there,

I am currently using plain textiled fields to allow formatting up to a certain degree, but if I let other users use my little project, they might not be so technologically savvy and might have problems with that raw formatting.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a more userfriendly type of content editing? I looked into typical editors like tinymce/ fckeditor.. and even the textile helper plugin.. but the later made more problems than expected and the first two kind of seem to play somewhat roughly with prototype/rails as a backend.

Any suggestions/ideas are highly appreciated :slight_smile:

-J

Hey there,

I am currently using plain textiled fields to allow formatting up to a certain degree, but if I let other users use my little project, they might not be so technologically savvy and might have problems with that raw formatting.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a more userfriendly type of content editing? I looked into typical editors like tinymce/ fckeditor.. and even the textile helper plugin.. but the later made more problems than expected and the first two kind of seem to play somewhat roughly with prototype/rails as a backend.

Any suggestions/ideas are highly appreciated :slight_smile:

fckeditor plays well with rails as far as I've seen. There's even a plugin for it that lets it work with ajax based forms. We use it pretty extensively (magazine articles, news items, etc.) and it's pretty nice.

It's also amazingly customizable. You can add your own tool bars to do diferent things, you can remove toolbars, you can customize the styles that are available globally and per element (ie, select an image and the style list changes). You can also have it wrap things in with custom classes as well.

-p