Write checkbox values in database

Hi,

I am new to rails. Any support from your side would be very helpful.

I have a model called child and another model called childcategory. I have given the code in app/views/children/show.html.erb of child.

<% remote_form_for [@child, Childcategory.new] do |f| %> <p>     <%= f.label :body, " Allowed Categories " %> <br />     <% for category in @cat do %>        <%= check_box 'checkbox', category.categoryname %> <%= category.categoryname %>     <% end %>   </p> <p> <%= f.submit "Update Settings" %> </p> <% end %>

NOw the check boxes are displayed from another model called Filtercategory. When the user checks a check box in the above view, i want the check box value to be inserted in a model called Childcategory. The controller code is as follows.

app/controllers/childcategories_controller.rb

class ChildcategoriesController < ApplicationController

def create      @child = Child.find(params[:child_id])      @catlist = @child.childcategories.create!(params[:childcategory])

respond_to do |format|        format.html { redirect_to @child }        format.js     end    end

end

But when i submit the "Update Settings" button, a new record is created with childid but the category name in the check box is not saved in the table.

Can you say whats the issue. I couldnt solve this.

Any suggestion would be really supportive.

For starters look at how you are constructing your check_box tags. The way you have it written now the categories will not be contained inside the childcategory params. Something like this might get you headed in the right direction:

<% for category in @categories %>   <%= check_box_tag 'child_category[category_ids]', category.id %> < %= category.name %> <% end %>

Then look at generated source for the check boxes and watch the params that get passed when you submit the form. A single check box is easy, a series of checkboxes that represent values stored in an association is much harder and will require some extra work in the view and possibly the model.

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your precious time. I tried your suggestion too. I think i am doing some relationship mistake between models. I am not sure whether i am doing it in the right way. I will try to explain what i have done.

Kindly give me whether i am right or whether i am on the wrong way.

I have a models called Child.rb, Childcategory.rb and Filtercategory.rb

The relationships are as given below

class Child < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :user   has_many :childcategories   has_many :timelimits end

class Childcategory < ActiveRecord::Base   has_and_belongs_to_many :filtercategories end

class Filtercategory < ActiveRecord::Base

end

NOw i have list of category names in Filtercategories table. I am listing them using checkboxes in the child view and trying to write them in Childcategories table if checked by the user. i.e. app/views/children/show.html.erb

<% remote_form_for [@child, Childcategory.new] do |f| %> <p>     <%= f.label :body, " Allowed Categories " %> <br />     <% for category in @cat %> <%= check_box_tag 'child_category[category_ids]', category.id %>

<%= category.categoryname %>     <% end %>   </p> <p> <%= f.submit "Update Settings" %> </p> <% end %>

The controller of Childcategories is as below.

class ChildcategoriesController < ApplicationController

def create      @child = Child.find(params[:child_id])      @catlist = @child.childcategories.create!(params[:childcategory])

respond_to do |format|        format.html { redirect_to @child }        format.js     end    end

end

Hence i have written the code in this manner. But the table is not updated with categories checked by the user. Only childid is inserted and new record is created without category name and id.

Kindly help me in this regard.It will be very supportive.

Thanks for any help,

Swarna