Working around Restful Authentication

I'm using Restful Authentication, and the code to create a user is pretty straight forward - there is a before_save action and a before_create action:

before_save :encrypt_password   before_create :make_activation_code

But for some reason when I try to create a user programmatically in the controller like this:

User.new(:email => 'user@fake.com', :password => '123456', :password_confirmation => '123456')

Nothing happens. I get a user that I can't save:

u = User.new(:email => 'user@fake.com', :password => '123456', :password_confirmation => '123456')

=> #<User id: nil, login: nil, email: "user@fake.com", crypted_password: nil, salt: nil, created_at: nil, updated_at: nil, remember_token: nil, remember_token_expires_at: nil, activation_code: nil, activated_at: nil, is_seller: false>

u.save

=> false

Any clues as to how I could create a user without actually being sent to the user controller's create action? The before_save and before_create actions are private.

Thanks, Nik

Did you check the validation errors after trying to save the user? Are you sure you are providing all the required information required by the validation on the user model?