Where do Gems Live (e.g. CKEditor)

I'm a Rails newbie and I have added the CKEditor Gem which is working okay. To configure the gem though, you have to edit the config file, which is also working when I do that. However, when I push to github and pull to my other computer, the config file is not changed.

This lead me to the following broader question: when you use a gem, where does the code go and how can you make sure it all gets deployed - especially with regards to CKEditor as the other stuff seems to work.

I accept this may be a really stupid question.

Are you using something like rvm/rbenv? if not then you can do "which rails" and you'll get the path where the rails gem is. If you are using a ruby version manager, then it's inside .rvm or .rbenv folder, in a folder called "gems", as you are downloading the gem as a git repository (that's my guess) I assume it will be inside a "bundler" folder.

Javier

Javier Quarite wrote in post #1097393:

I'm a Rails newbie and I have added the CKEditor Gem which is working okay. To configure the gem though, you have to edit the config file, which is also working when I do that. However, when I push to github and pull to my other computer, the config file is not changed.

This lead me to the following broader question: when you use a gem, where does the code go and how can you make sure it all gets deployed - especially with regards to CKEditor as the other stuff seems to work.

Are you using something like rvm/rbenv? if not then you can do "which rails" and you'll get the path where the rails gem is. If you are using a ruby version manager, then it's inside .rvm or .rbenv folder, in a folder called "gems", as you are downloading the gem as a git repository (that's my guess) I assume it will be inside a "bundler" folder.

Javier

Yes, I'm using rvm. So the CKeditor gem will be there. If I want to modify the gem and have that modification passed to my deployed site do I need to move it to within my assets (or whatever)? I ask because otherwise when I run bundle install on the deployed site (heroku hosted) it will just install the regular ckeditor files won't it, without my changes?

And thanks a lot for the response!

Jonathon

As far as I understand, you're modifying the gem by your own. I've donde this with simple form and once with ckeditor. This is what I did then:

- forked the github repository - made the changes, commit them and push to my fork - then in Gemfile

gem 'simple_form', :*git* => '*git*://github.com/MY_ACCOUNT/simple_form.* git*'

If your site is in heroku, then I suggest doing this.

Javier

You might be better to use the technique described in [1] rather than modifying the one in the gem itself.

Colin

[1] CKEditor 3.x/Developers Guide/Setting Configurations - CKSource Docs

Colin Law wrote in post #1097417: