where did update_without_callbacks go?

I recently upgraded one of my apps to rails 2.0.2 and creating a certain object didn't work. After some debugging, I discovered this exception:

undefined method `update_without_callbacks' for #<Journal: 0x4fc7048>

where Journal is my model and I have this callback in journal.rb:

def after_save     make_journal_name     make_inbound_email     self.update_without_callbacks   end

(See * below for more info)

Also, I thought while I was debugging that at some point I saw an exception that said I was trying to call a private method, but I can no longer reproduce that.

Anybody know what's going on?

* Basically, what goes on here is that after I create or update a journal I need to create a name and inbound e-mail for the journal that include the journal_id, so this has to happen in the after_save so that the journal_id is available. However, if I call self.save that creates an endless loop. See: http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/browse_thread/thread/cc9cb64ca0923147/75432648e1aeee27?lnk=gst for more info.

It's hard to tell without knowing more of what the make_journal_name and make_inbound_email methods do. If these methods are updating attributes of the journal, you should probably move the self.update_without_callbacks to these methods as a self.update_attribute(:attr, value) and call self.reload if necessary in your after_save callback. Otherwise, you could try self.save_without_validation (or self.save_with_validation(false)), but I don't know if these will skip the after_save callback (I don't think they will).

Unfortunately, calling self.update_attribute creates an endless loop because #update_attribute callsback after_save.

Here's a very simple example I setup where I simply want to append the ID of an object to it's title after it's created or updated:

class Movie < ActiveRecord::Base   def after_save     self.title = self.title + self.id.to_s     self.update_without_callbacks   end end

and it throws this error:

NoMethodError in MoviesController#update private method `update_without_callbacks' called for #<Movie: 0x38b1084>

at /ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/ attribute_methods.rb:205:in `method_missing'. That code calls "super" which is what throws the error...I presume because it's calling the method on ActiveRecord::Base.

That being said, it seems that the access level of update_without_callbacks changed from 1.2.x to 2.x...is that a feature or a bug?

I've been trying to figure out how the access level has changed, but I can't see it directly. I do see one meaningful change to callbacks.rb that occurred on 8/31/07: http://dev.rubyonrails.org/changeset/7380. I don't really understand the change very well...anyone?