where did my uploaded file go?

Hi, i have made a file uploading function on my application, the thing is

i want to allow my users to download the file (can be pdf, doc, img, etc)

so in my file upload controller:

def download      @photo = Photo.find(params[:id])      send_file("#{RAILS_ROOT}/public/"+@photo.filename,       :filename => @photo.filename,       :type => @photo.content_type,       :disposition => 'attachment') end

this works perfectly fine, BUT only if the file actually exists in ../public/..

i noticed that when i try to upload a file using the app,

it doesn't automatically store it into the public folder. if i manually copy paste the file into the public folder, the download works fine.

this is my controller, (notice that the new & create methods doesn't say anything about storing the uploaded files into the public folder)

class PhotoAdminController < ApplicationController   def index     list     render :action => 'list'   end

# GETs should be safe (see URIs, Addressability, and the use of HTTP GET and POST)   verify :method => :post, :only => [ :destroy, :create, :update ],          :redirect_to => { :action => :list }

def list     @photo_pages, @photos = paginate :photos, :per_page => 10   end

def show     @photo = Photo.find(params[:id])   end

def new     @photo = Photo.new   end

def create     @photo = Photo.new(params[:photo])     if @photo.save       flash[:notice] = 'Photo was successfully created.'       redirect_to :action => 'list'     else       render :action => 'new'     end   end

def edit     @photo = Photo.find(params[:id])   end

def update     @photo = Photo.find(params[:id])     if @photo.update_attributes(params[:photo])       flash[:notice] = 'Photo was successfully updated.'       redirect_to :action => 'show', :id => @photo     else       render :action => 'edit'     end   end

def destroy     Photo.find(params[:id]).destroy     redirect_to :action => 'list'   end

def download      @photo = Photo.find(params[:id])      send_file("#{RAILS_ROOT}/public/images/"+@photo.filename,       :filename => @photo.filename,       :type => @photo.content_type,       :disposition => 'attachment')    end end

can someone teach me how to code my app to store the uploaded file into the public folder?

thank you very much in advance!

I suggest you use the attachment_fu plugin. It works very well and will give you the option of storing your files in the database, file system or using Amazon S3. You could certainly write similar code yourself, but why re-invent the wheel?

Aaron Chase wrote:

Read the section called 'attachment_fu migrations' in this document: http://svn.techno-weenie.net/projects/plugins/attachment_fu/README. DB storage is the default, although you probably want to store images in the file system instread.

Aaron Chase wrote: