What to do when your host doesn't have rails 2.0 yet

I'm working on my first rails application, and I'd like to just go ahead and do it in rails 2.0.

My hosting provider (bluehost) has rails 1.2.6 installed right now though, and hasn't upgraded yet.

Can I develop on my own machine in 2.0, then freeze the app, and upload it to my server? Or am I kind of stuck until they have 2.0 running?

Thanks.

Yes.

Freezing to a specific version of Rails in a shared environment is a good idea anyway, just on the off-chance they do a `gem cleanup` or something.

Greg Donald wrote:

I'm working on my first rails application, and I'd like to just go ahead and do it in rails 2.0.

My hosting provider (bluehost) has rails 1.2.6 installed right now though, and hasn't upgraded yet.

Can I develop on my own machine in 2.0, then freeze the app, and upload it to my server? Or am I kind of stuck until they have 2.0 running?

I've been doing some work (pro bono, actually) for someone with Bluehost. You can install your own gems, including Rails, in your home directory. See http://helpdesk.bluehost.com/kb/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&id=418

You can probably do it over FTP, but it's much easier over SSH.

Thanks.

--Greg

Perfect! Thanks for the help.

Well, I tried the steps below from the link:

it's a pretty good practice to freeze rails in any production environment to avoid updates that might affect your app. This way, no matter if you are local or deploying on the server it will always run off of what version you froze into the app.

Buddhi De silva wrote:

> --Greg

Perfect! Thanks for the help.

Well, I tried the steps below from the link:

------------------ 1) Using File Manager in your cPanel make a copy of the .bashrc file in your root directory, name it .bashrc.bak. 2) Now edit the .bashrc file and add the following to the end of the file:

export PATH="$PATH:$HOME/packages/bin:$HOME/.gems/bin" export GEM_HOME="$HOME/.gems" export GEM_PATH="$GEM_HOME:/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8" export GEM_CACHE="$GEM_HOME/cache"

3) Using your favorite SSH client connect to your site. 4) at the prompt type: cp /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/cache/sources-0.0.1.gem ./ gem install sources-0.0.1.gem gem update -y This will update rails to the latest version and install it to your local gem directory. -----------------

The output of gem update -y was only a message that no gems were updated. (Actually it was something like gems updated.)

I tried to do gem install rails, and it ended up installing a local copy of rails 1.2.0.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

1. I tried updating by following the above steps but failed.. there was no file named sources-0.0.1.gem I just downloaded it from rubyforge and

2. tried: "gem update -y" but there were many errors on rails installation.

3. but "gem install rails" got rails 2.0.2 installed without any issues.. so far so good. got to test it by using a rail app to make sure it works :slight_smile:

hope this helps..

I was able to install rails 2.0.2 to my local directory also and was able to successfully create a rails 2.0.2 project. HOWEVER, I get the "Rails application failed to start properly" when I test out my application. Does anybody know why this is? Is it because the server can't handle rails 2.0.2 requests?

BTW, I can get a rails 1.2.6 project working fine on bluehost by changing the permissions in the public directory. However like i said, no luck with rails 2.0.2.

Does anyone know how to change the path to a specific rails installation you would like the server to use? For example, i installed rails 2.0.2 in my local directory, but when i'm making requests to the server its still using the rails installed on the /usr/lib/ruby/1.8.

Do you have a vendor directory where you installed Rails? Normally if you have a vendor directory your app should refer to the Rails setup contained there first.

pfalcone@gmail.com wrote:

Do you have a vendor directory where you installed Rails? Normally if you have a vendor directory your app should refer to the Rails setup contained there first.

How would I go about doing what you described?

rake rails:freeze:gems

Melvin Ram wrote:

rake rails:freeze:gems

I believe i tried that but it doesnt work because bluehost doesnt have subversion.

I don't think that requires subversion. Give it a spin

Put this line in your environment.rb, and it should work: ENV['GEM_PATH'] = '/home/yourhome/yourgem-home'

Ken Le wrote: