what should e relationship etween these models

Hi

I have a organizations table and employess table. From the employee one employee will e administering the whole organizations That means creating other staff and what ever the activities etc. My question is how can I implement the table structure and set relation for organizations and employees table I started like

organizations has_many employees employee belongs_to organization

But how should I represent an employee of organization who is the administrator

Thanks Tom

Consider this example:

employee belongs_to adminstered_organization

Hi

Consider this example:

Could you please specify the model structure and relation now?

Tom Mac wrote:

Hi

Consider this example:

Could you please specify the model structure and relation now?

maybe the requirement needs to be expanded a touch as it was a little unclear to me on what this 'administrator' does. Are you modelling a business role or a system role (and/or are they the same thing?). Are there other roles you may need to model as this would potentially change the way you implement the behaviour i.e. the introduction of a roles model.

PS I found that a good guide to associations which helped me was

Hi Jon Cox

Thanks for your reply. My idea is to create a saas based application which has the initial signup procedure in basecamp like

https://signup.37signals.com/basecamp/Basic/signup/new?source=signin-screen&__utma=1.193660493.1263811484.1263811484.1264389803.2&__utmb=1.10.10.1264389803&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1263811487.1.2.utmcsr=google

So as a first step I tried to design tables organizations and employees as above and putting organization_owner_id in in organization table .Please correct me if I am wrong

Thanks Tom

Tom Mac wrote:

Hi Jon Cox

Thanks for your reply. My idea is to create a saas based application which has the initial signup procedure in basecamp like

Basecamp Classic Signup

So as a first step I tried to design tables organizations and employees as above and putting organization_owner_id in in organization table .Please correct me if I am wrong

Thanks Tom

For something like Basecamp you'll end up with users having different types of role. Things like administrators, project managers, project leads, project members etc. I presume that a user could have more than one role as well? This lends itself to a structure to link your users to roles (or say employees to orangisation_roles) perhaps along the lines of:

class Employee < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :employee_roles   has_many :roles, :through => :employee_roles end

class Role < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :employee_roles   has_many :employees, :through => :employee_roles end

class EmployeeRole < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :role   belongs_to :employee end

One of the roles could be the organisation owner as per your initial requirement.

Again - i'd recommend reading the guide on assosiations (Active Record Associations — Ruby on Rails Guides). more importantly though is to have a clear design to build against. I've recently been looking into Behaviour Driven Design (BDD) and it's already changing the way i'm approaching my work. Work through the behaviours you need your app to deliver before you work on a solution :slight_smile: