what happens to people who try to use Rails with another CMS besides SVN?

Just curious, because the Subversion hooks seem so pervasive and un-polymorphic in all the Rails source.

Do people who try to use Perforce or CVS get used as pinatas? Do they wake up in the middle of the night with glowering Tiki statues at the foot of their beds? Do their relatives inflict endless penguin-themed CGI movies on them? Does the RIAA accuse them of stream-ripping and put them on no-fly lists?

Phlip wrote:

Just curious, because the Subversion hooks seem so pervasive and un-polymorphic in all the Rails source.

Do people who try to use Perforce or CVS get used as pinatas? Do they wake up in the middle of the night with glowering Tiki statues at the foot of their beds? Do their relatives inflict endless penguin-themed CGI movies on them? Does the RIAA accuse them of stream-ripping and put them on no-fly lists?

I have had no problems at all with using Mercurial. It's just as straight forward as using Subversion. Only issue I'd see is if you really like svn:externals and/or piston, but, at least for me, these can be lived without (and probably duplicated in some way or another).

Kyle

Rails uses SVN because it’s pragmatic. SVN is IMO the best source control software out there, and it’s the one DHH and team decided to use as it’s got the most traction right now.

Of course, the only places SVN is explicitly used is rails:freeze:edge and in plugin install, depending on how it’s installed. There is no requirement of having SVN to use Rails. I’ve done Rails with cvs just fine.

If you’re being kept up at night by glowing Tiki statues, I suggest finding an excorsist :stuck_out_tongue:

Jason

We use CVS at my workplace... no problems.

Good thread guys

If you're being kept up at night by glowing Tiki statues, I suggest finding an excorsist :stuck_out_tongue:

"glowering"

and _we_ use SVN because ... it's the best so far!

I was thinking about experimental code like rake test:uncommitted, that unapologetically shells to SVN without any adapter layer...

I can think of a number of Perforce advocates (and one Linus Torvalds) who'd take issue with the idea that svn is the best source control software out there. I don't even know that I'd agree with the statement, and I (happily) use svn heavily. svn could use opaque collections, automatic fs behavior (i.e. get rid of svn mv and svn cp), local interim commits, far better merge support, fully transactional commits, etc. People in favor of fully distributed "trees" won't be happy with svn either.

-faisal