What does GPL mean?

This is off-topic.

I've been wondering about Ruby applications released under the GPL. What does it exactly mean?

The GPL was supposed to apply to software that was explicitly built into the same executable with a GPL licensed software. That is tougher to understand for web software. I guess you could argue that if you use a controller/ view, you must then release the modified file in source code to people who are your customers under the GPL license.

But, it does not make sense for a stylesheet or something, does it? If I want to use a stylesheet from a GPL project, what are my obligations? It doesn't make sense to release the source code of my application because of that.

Just wondering what you think.

Cheers Mohit.

Hi --

Hi --

dblack@wobblini.net wrote:

Hi --

Hi --

I think you're right that it's off-topic. It's probably hopeless, but I'd like to suggest that we NOT trigger The Licensing Discussion, for once.      At the risk of being guilty of triggering the Off-Topic Meta-Discussion, I should add that I don't mean to pounce on you or single you out, Mohit -- it's just that licensing posts have a way of spawning very long and OT threads, and it seems to be something that keeps happening.

David

No worries! Understood :slight_smile: Cheers Mohit.

Cayce Balara wrote:

Mohit:

Wikipedia has a page on software licenses that will lead you to more information than you care to absorb (I'm sure), as well as many, MANY more appropriate places to discuss such things.

Comparison of free and open-source software licenses - Wikipedia

enjoy. c.

Mohit Sindhwani wrote:   

I'd like to suggest that we NOT trigger The Licensing Discussion, for         

David

No worries! Understood :slight_smile: Cheers Mohit.      Thanks for the link! Actually, I have read similar articles and my confusion was specific to what happens if there is a web application project that is released under the GPL (for example, Pandora [1]) and I want to use the stylesheet it uses. I don't want any of the other code, just the stylesheet. In the case of executable code, I understand the usage requirements, but for a stylesheet I'm not sure what is defined a 'derivative work' and how far it extends.

But, this thread is closed :smiley: for business (to continue)

Cheers Mohit.

[1] Pandora - http://rubyforge.org/projects/pandora/

It seems to me that Pandora's license is only meant to apply to the software, not the stylesheets that it uses. The license mentions the "software;" I wouldn't say a stylesheet is part of that. Whether it is or isn't, though, I think the best course of action would be to send them an email and ask their opinion.