Web application in ruby and rails error while running on localhost

Hey all , i m a newbie of ruby and rails , iahev an application which is in ruby rails , now i am trying to run on this localhost .. but i am getting following errors .!

1.i am trying to run `rails s` or `rails c` , and i m in already in the root folder .

2. when i am trying to get the documentation of this . getting following error .

how can i run my application on localhost . is there any other IDE which can run this application .

Attachments: http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/8251/Error2.jpg http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/8252/Error1.jpg

Hey all , i m a newbie of ruby and rails , iahev an application which is in ruby rails , now i am trying to run on this localhost .. but i am getting following errors .!

1.i am trying to run `rails s` or `rails c` , and i m in already in the root folder .

It is better to copy/paste the output here rather than attaching an image. The error suggests that you are not in the root folder of the application. What do you see if you type ls Which version of rails are you using (rails -v) How did you create the application?

Are you using Windows? If so then it may be difficult to get help.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #1102784:

Most rails developers use Linux (often Ubuntu) or Mac. I believe that it is possible to develop on Windows but can be problematic.

If your manager gave you the app then perhaps best to ask him. Have you done bundle install

I always suggest that new Rails users work right through a good tutorial such as railstutorial.org in order to understand the basics of rails.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #1102790:

Colin Law wrote in post #1102790:

It is better to copy/paste the output here rather than attaching an

thanks for reply .. i got this application from my manager :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: . i m using 3.2.13 . i dont know how they created this application . yeah i m using windows . is it difficult to work on windows with ruby on rails ??

Most rails developers use Linux (often Ubuntu) or Mac. I believe that it is possible to develop on Windows but can be problematic.

If your manager gave you the app then perhaps best to ask him. Have you done bundle install

I always suggest that new Rails users work right through a good tutorial such as railstutorial.org in order to understand the basics of rails.

Colin

acutally sir .. i dont want to learn ruby on rails ..somehow i just want to run this application ..so i can know its functionality .. utlimately i have to convert this in asp.net mvc . I have done the - Install bundle

Not Install bundle, but bundle install. Did that appear to run correctly?

.. i m in the root folder , is there any other configuration needed to run ruby or rails appliaction .database or something els , i m missing .

In order to check that your rails install is working, go to a suitable folder and run rails new testapp that should create a folder testapp containing a new application.

You may find it even more difficult to get help given the fact that you are not actually interested in rails itself. This is a self-help community. There is obviously no way you are ever going to give any help back to the others in the community.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #1102803:

In that case it must be an issue with the application. Start by comparing the files in a new app you have created (using the same version of rails the application expects) and those in the application. Look first at the files in the config directory and its subdirs for any obvious differences. You said you are using rails 3.2.13, I presume that is the correct version that the app was written for. Look at the start of the file Gemfile in the root directory and in config/environment.rb where you may find a line RAILS_GEM_VERSION

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #1102811:

sarvesh kushwaha wrote in post #1102814:

In that case it must be an issue with the application. Start by comparing the files in a new app you have created (using the same version of rails the application expects) and those in the application. Look first at the files in the config directory and its subdirs for any obvious differences. You said you are using rails 3.2.13, I presume that is the correct version that the app was written for. Look at the start of the file Gemfile in the root directory and in config/environment.rb where you may find a line RAILS_GEM_VERSION

Colin

sir ,

i tried to install the bundle in application using "bundle install" its giving me error Bundler:gemfilenotfound . one more thing which is the best IDE to us on windows OS for ruby on rails .

i have copied the gemfile from another application to this one . and installed the bundle . but still "rails s" not working . :frowning:

Don't bother with an IDE, especially since you just want to get this app running.

Did you check in Gemfile and environment.rb to see which version of Rails your app expects? Please post them both here if in doubt

Please post the complete output from bundle install. Until you get that working your app will not run.

Please answer all the questions, in previous responses you have sometimes just answered some of the questions.

Colin

You must use the Gemfile that came with the app.

Colin

Well I guess that after being repeatedly asked to look in environment.rb the OP has finally realised that he had installed the wrong version of Rails and has now solved his problem. I suppose it is too much to expect a post acknowledging this, or telling us what the solution was if it was not that. :frowning:

Colin