Vendor gems work differently to normal gems?

Hi there,

Please let me know if this is the wrong forum for this sort of message.

Using Rails 2.1. I’ve been using the rake tasks to unpack a few gems and their dependencies. Locally I have the gems all installed normally too - but on my staging server I only had some of them in the vendor/gems folder. reliable-msg is the gem I found this issue with (the latest version of it). When I tried rake db:migrate, it spat the dummy saying:

undefined method `require_gem’ for main:Object

I thought it was odd that I saw that message on the staging server but not my local machine. I tried installing the gem normally on the staging server (sudo gem install reliable-msg) and after that rake db:migrate worked correctly. Just bringing this up as it doesn’t work as I’d expect it to.

I’ve also found two other gems that don’t like being frozen - the rake gem:* tasks complain about them. They are flvtool2 and mime-types.

Cheers,

Tim.

Hi there,

Please let me know if this is the wrong forum for this sort of message.

Using Rails 2.1. I've been using the rake tasks to unpack a few gems and their dependencies. Locally I have the gems all installed normally too - but on my staging server I only had some of them in the vendor/gems folder. reliable-msg is the gem I found this issue with (the latest version of it). When I tried rake db:migrate, it spat the dummy saying:

undefined method `require_gem' for main:Object

I thought it was odd that I saw that message on the staging server but not my local machine. I tried installing the gem normally on the staging server (sudo gem install reliable-msg) and after that rake db:migrate worked correctly. Just bringing this up as it doesn't work as I'd expect it to.

require_gem is gone from the more recent versions of RubyGems. Next update for reliable_msg will take care of that (and a few other things).

Assaf

require_gem is gone from the more recent versions of RubyGems. Next

update for reliable_msg will take care of that (and a few other

things).

Assaf

Hi Assaf,

Thanks for your reply. I know require_gem is obsolete. I was curious to see it worked with the gem in the normal gem repository when it didn’t work in vendor/gems. Not motivated enough to investigate it right now tho. :wink:

Tim.