validates_length_of virtual attribute

Hi all,

I have in my Person model a attribute named "hash" which is a hash of a password and a salt. When a user want to create a account of update it, he just have to specify its password in a password virtual attribute. To do so, I use this code:

# in model   class Person < ActiveRecord::Base     validates_length_of :password, :within => 6..40     def password     end   end

# in view   <p>Password <%= f.password_field :password %></p>

But when I try to create a account for testing, I get an error message from the model that said my password is so short (less then 6 chars)... even if my password got more chars. I don't understand why.

Thanks for any help. D.

Think about what happens: the validation runs, and tries to get the password to see if you've set it to at least 6 characters. It calls the password method, which returns nil so the validation fails. Your password accessor needs to return the value set by the form (you could just use attr_accessor).

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Think about what happens: the validation runs, and tries to get the password to see if you've set it to at least 6 characters. It calls the password method, which returns nil so the validation fails. Your password accessor needs to return the value set by the form (you could just use attr_accessor).

Fred

Thank you for your answer. By using attr_accessor :password, my password attribute can be read and write.

But I have a thin other problem because of my special write attribute:

def password=(password)   self.salt = salt = Digest::SHA1.hexdigest(Time.now.to_s)   self.shadow = Digest::SHA1.hexdigest(password + salt) end

Do you think there is a way to solve it by modify this method and just remplace attr_accessor :password by attr_reader :password?

Thanks again for your help. D.

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Think about what happens: the validation runs, and tries to get the password to see if you've set it to at least 6 characters. It calls the password method, which returns nil so the validation fails. Your password accessor needs to return the value set by the form (you
could just use attr_accessor).

Fred

Thank you for your answer. By using attr_accessor :password, my
password attribute can be read and write.

But I have a thin other problem because of my special write attribute:

def password=(password) self.salt = salt = Digest::SHA1.hexdigest(Time.now.to_s) self.shadow = Digest::SHA1.hexdigest(password + salt) end

Do you think there is a way to solve it by modify this method and just remplace attr_accessor :password by attr_reader :password?

Well you need the password method to work, so something like

def password=(password)    @password = password    # rest of your method here end

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

def password=(password)    @password = password    # rest of your method here end

Fred

Oops, I haven't thinking of this... Now that's okay, Thanks a lot!