Vacation Reading Recommendations

I’m looking for a programming related good book(not about ruby or rails ) to stretch my brain while on vacation and away from the computer for a week. Something similar to the classic GOF design patterns or Martin Fowler’s refactoring book. I was an MIS student, not computer science, so I’ve been thinking of cracking a book on data structures or algorithms. Here’s some possible contenders, any other suggestions? Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software The Art of Computer Programming Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

blinking bear wrote:

I'm looking for a programming related good book(not about ruby or rails ) to stretch my brain while on vacation and away from the computer for a week. Something similar to the classic GOF design patterns or Martin Fowler's refactoring book.

/Refactoring to Patterns/ by Josh Kereivsky.

One of my favorites is

Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices by Robert C. Martin

Domain Driven Design is my favorite design-related book. I highly recommend it.

Pat

I'm looking for a programming related good book(not about ruby or rails ) to stretch my brain while on vacation and away from the computer for a week. Something similar to the classic GOF design patterns or Martin Fowler's refactoring book. I was an MIS student, not computer science, so I've been thinking of cracking a book on data structures or algorithms. Here's some possible contenders, any other suggestions?

*Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools*

I really doubt if you can get much out of this book in only a week. Usually, it is used for semester long courses.

*Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software*

Unquestionably a good book. Possibly a bit too close to work if you're looking for a mind opener.

*The Art of Computer Programming*

I've always admired and avoided this one. If you can't extend your holidays by at least two years, you probably won't make it even past the mathematical preliminaries.

A more accessible algorithms/datastructures book is "Introduction to Algorithms" by Cormen, Leiserson, and Rivest. But make no mistake, all these "academic" books tend to be heavy on the maths. If you're not interested in detailed complexity analyses at any rate, there are a number of other algorithms/datastructures books, although I can't recommend any one specifically.

*Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs*

From a practical point of view, SICP is the one you will probably get the most out of if you have about a week. You can quickly move over the easier parts that and go as far as your time permits. Incidentally, I had my copy in my hands today and the thought struck me that there's no other programming book that tought me more.

Michael

Thanks for the feedback. I actually ended up picking up Volume 1 of the Art of Computer Programming. I’m leaving in a week and SICP won’t ship before then on amazon (though I might print out some of the online edition). Reading the first few pages of Art of Programming so far reminds me of starting In Search of Lost Time again…