utf8 problem

Hello. I've started to study ruby and rails.

I added string to the model: validates_length_of :first_name, :within => 3..64, :too_long => 'long', :too_short => 'short' It works.

I changed error messges (I need to use russian words in it): validates_length_of :first_name, :within => 3..64, :too_long => 'Длинное', :too_short => 'Короткое' It doesn't work. The error is: ... app/models/user.rb:3: invalid multibyte char (US-ASCII) ...

Tried to find decision with google. Tried to use monkey patches:

I dont't now if my using was correct: I just created 3 files (patch.rb, fix_params.rb, fix_renderable.rb) in the folder config/ initializers - I didn't require it anywhere (I think, that it happends automatically). Error changed to: ... incompatible character encodings: ASCII-8BIT and UTF-8 ... This error is in ruby, not in rails: D:/WebProgramming/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-2.3.5/ lib/active_support/core_ext/string/output_safety.rb:34:in `concat' ...

My configuration: ruby 1.9.1 rails 2.3.5 Windows XP Redactor is Aptana - it uses utf8 as default

What have I to do to russian words become to work (utf8)? I want to find decision for Windows Ruby 1.9.1

kouzma wrote:

Hello. I've started to study ruby and rails.

I added string to the model: validates_length_of :first_name, :within => 3..64, :too_long => 'long', :too_short => 'short' It works.

I changed error messges (I need to use russian words in it): validates_length_of :first_name, :within => 3..64, :too_long => 'Длинное', :too_short => 'Короткое' It doesn't work. The error is: ... app/models/user.rb:3: invalid multibyte char (US-ASCII) ...

Tried to find decision with google. Tried to use monkey patches: ruby_191_hacks.rb · GitHub I dont't now if my using was correct: I just created 3 files (patch.rb, fix_params.rb, fix_renderable.rb) in the folder config/ initializers - I didn't require it anywhere (I think, that it happends automatically). Error changed to: ... incompatible character encodings: ASCII-8BIT and UTF-8 ... This error is in ruby, not in rails: D:/WebProgramming/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-2.3.5/ lib/active_support/core_ext/string/output_safety.rb:34:in `concat' ...

My configuration: ruby 1.9.1 rails 2.3.5 Windows XP Redactor is Aptana - it uses utf8 as default

What have I to do to russian words become to work (utf8)? I want to find decision for Windows Ruby 1.9.1

Have you tried putting

# encoding: utf-8

as the first line of that model's file?

http://blog.nuclearsquid.com/writings/ruby-1-9-encodings and Gray Soft / Not Found are good articles to help beginning to understand Ruby 1.9's encoding agnosticism.