Using XmlSimple to parse XML strings

I am using XmlSimple to parse an XML string received from a remote host. I am getting the error message, "File does not exist: .". I am fairly well convinced that the problem is that XmlSimple is not recognizing the received XML string as being valid XML and is therefore looking for a file by that name (which, of course, does not exist). The XmlSimple documentation says that it recognizes an XML string by the presence of '<' and '>' characters. I interpret that to mean that XmlSimple does not perform any sort of exhaustive XML validity check; but, rather just looks for the presence of those opening and closing characters to make the determination. The received string meets that requirement. Any suggestions on what I might do?

Thanks for any input.

... doug

I wanted the list to know that I resolved this issue. My problem related to my poor understanding of sockets (but I'm learning). I didn't realize that reading from a socket is destructive. That is (apparently) once the data is read from the socket, it is gone. In a backhanded sort of way, that is what was causing my problem. Thanks.

... doug