using mongodb with ActiveRecord or other ?

We recently looked at mongoDB a bit. I was discussing using mongoDB with active record but was told that maybe there are other or better options. Can someone comment on that ?

Also, someone suggested storing a ruby array directly inside of a record where I would have opted for the array to be a separate set of records in active record using has_many and belongs_to … It seemed to me that how I search on those child records would be a big factor but I soon realized I need to find out what are the options. Do people store arrays and hashes directly in mongo DB fields or is that not the best way to go ?

We recently looked at mongoDB a bit. I was discussing using mongoDB with active record but was told that maybe there are other or better options. Can someone comment on that ?

ActiveRecord is pretty hardwired to SQL databases. Mongoid and mongomapper are 2 ORMs that wrap mongodb documents with an ActiveModel compliant interface

Also, someone suggested storing a ruby array directly inside of a record where I would have opted for the array to be a separate set of records in active record using has_many and belongs_to … It seemed to me that how I search on those child records would be a big factor but I soon realized I need to find out what are the options. Do people store arrays and hashes directly in mongo DB fields or is that not the best way to go ?

It’s certainly a compelling feature. There are pros and cons. It depends largely on how you use/access the data. For example with data in separate records, its difficult to update a parent and child without race conditions, since while individual document updates are atomic there are no transactions. Equally very large documents can be unwieldy

Fred

Hello Its too late. If you have any other query regarding MongoDB visit the link:

Here discussion are carry on regarding mongodb or many other topics.