Using dom_id to localize testing.

I am trying to test a rails app using webrat. I have this sort of construct:

<table id="entities" caption="Entity Listing" ...>

<thead>     <tr>       <th style="width:20em;">Short Name</th> ...     </tr>     <tr>       <th colspan="2">Legal Name</th>     </tr>   </thead>

<tbody>

<% for entity in @entities %>   <tr id="<%=dom_id(entity, :list)%>">     <td><%=h entity.entity_name.titlecase -%></td> ...     <td id="<%=dom_id(entity, :show)%>">        <%= link_to 'Show Entity', entity -%></td>     <td id="<%=dom_id(entity, :edit)%>">        <%= link_to 'Edit Entity', edit_entity_path(entity) -%></td>     <td id="<%=dom_id(entity, :delete)%>">        <%= link_to 'Destroy Entity', entity,                     :confirm => 'Are you sure?',                     :method => :delete -%></td>   </tr>

I am trying to test the destroy link using this webrat code:

my_entity = Entity.find_by_entity_name(     "my entity number #{row.hll_words_to_i}")   within("body > table > tbody > tr#" + dom_id(my_entity, :list) +          " > td#" + dom_id(my_entity, :delete)) do     click_link "Destroy Entity"   end

This fails with a nil exception error:

You have a nil object when you didn't expect it!       The error occurred while evaluating nil.to_html (NoMethodError)       /usr/lib64/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/webrat-0.3.4/lib/webrat/core/scope.rb:176:in `scoped_dom' ...

I have tried with other variants of the selector. If I check for the selector using have_selector("td#" + dom_id(my_entity, :delete)) then it passes. If I use the long form above it also passes. I test for a missing selector then have_selector fails as expected. Therefore, I am reasonably certain that the selector is indeed being found on the page.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?