UserMailer Issue - Can any one help??

Hi there everyone!

I am looking to add email functionality to my project, whilst following the railsspace tutorial.

The book suggests that I add the following into the environment.rb file:

It sounds like what you've done is add this too early in environment.rb, ie before rails itself is loaded. A safe place to put this stuff is in the per-environment configuration files (ie config/ environments/production.rb) - you don't want your development machine sending out real emails to your users.

As i'm running this in production, what do I use for these settings, as I dont have usernames, passwords etc...

That depends on your mail setup. If the smtp server you're using doesn't require authentication then you can leave out settings related to authentication.

Fred

Thanks for that,

I have added it to the development area and now get the following error:

Rails 2.3.3 application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000

/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/actionmailer-2.3.3/lib/action_mailer/base.rb: 400:in `method_missing': undefined method `server_settings=' for ActionMailer::Base:Class (NoMethodError)

now i guess this is because i havent yet defined the server settings, however:

If I'm running on development on localhost/3000 why would i need any specific settings?

Sorry if this is a daft question, but it seems to me that this should work...

Apologies all...

seems like the issue was with ''server_settings'.

This was deprecated as of rails1.2.1.

This is now replaced with smtp_settings.

No errors now!

thanks Fred! You got me in the right direction!

One suggestion would be to follow the recommendation at the railsspace site (railsspace.com) which is: