User Association

Please Im trying to create an application where i can post like twitter, but i was the users name to be posted under their respective posts

My Post_controller looks like this def index     @posts = Post.all(:order => "created_at DESC")     @users = User.find(:all)     #@user_id = current_user.find(params[:id])

respond_to do |format|       format.html     end   end

def create     @post = current_user.posts.create(:message => params[:message])     @user.id = current_user.username

the models both have the correct association and tables are having User_id as primary on User table and Foreign on the Post Table, how do i create a method to be a able to have my index view show the post and name.

Please Im trying to create an application where i can post like twitter, but i was the users name to be posted under their respective posts

My Post_controller looks like this def index @posts = Post.all(:order => "created_at DESC") @users = User.find(:all) #@user_id = current_user.find(params[:id])

respond_to do |format| format.html end end

def create @post = current_user.posts.create(:message => params[:message]) @user.id = current_user.username

the models both have the correct association and tables are having User_id as primary on User table and Foreign on the Post Table, how do i create a method to be a able to have my index view show the post and name.

Not sure I understand exactly, but if you have a post in this_post, say, then the user is this_post.user, so the name will be this_post.user.name

Colin

Showing something is a matter of your View. Just use the association, as Colin said, when building the HTML,

I don't understand that, what is @user and why are you trying to set its id to the name of the current user?

Colin

i want to have the name of the user who created the each post under their post, what i have now in my view only shows the post, can u help me wit this

Colin Law wrote in post #1055779:

I think what i wrote there is rubbish, just ignore it and if you have a better method pls put me through, thanks Colin Law wrote in post #1055788:

Please don't top post, it makes it difficult to follow the thread. Insert your reply at appropriate points in previous message. Thanks

i want to have the name of the user who created the each post under their post, what i have now in my view only shows the post, can u help me wit this

I said how to do this already. In your view at some point you have a variable this_post or just post or something. The user created that post will be this_post.user and the name, presumably, is this_post.user.name.

I suggest that you work through some rails tutorials to get a grasp of the basics. railstutorial.org is good and is free to use online. Work right through it doing all the exercises and so on. Also look at the Rails Guides.

Colin