use of xml

Pabloz wrote:

Hi

Is it a good idea to keep for example blog posts in xml file rather than mysql? Right now i am trying this kind of project and its going really really slow, i dont have a model, i learn REXML, but still cant add nothing to my xml from a form for example. Anyway..is this a good way? or You would suggest database?

-- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

Without knowing the business problem, the question is meaningless.

XML is good for cross-platform data transfer and serialization of hierarchical data.

DOM can be considered an indexed tree structure, independent of its XML roots, for some purposes. I have used JDOM as the core of a high-performance ETL tool. In this case, the DOM is never rendered as XML except for debugging. I build DOM from COBOL copybooks, VSAM records, RDBMS rows, Excel spreadsheets, and (of course) XML documents. I max out the I/Ochannels on mainframe database server with this configuration.

RDBMS is good for data that can be organized as a set of related tables. It has proven itself to be a flexible model for meeting most problems efficiently.

Personally, I am not fond of MySQL. The business problems that I work on tend to be transactional, and MySql does not honor the ACID definition of a transaction. However, it does work well as a backing store for for mostly static data (Wikipedia) and data that is not audit sensitive (37signals). On the other hand, with their purchase of Netfrastructure, I believe that MySql is positioned to become a technology leader in the next generation of transactional RDBMS' in the next two years.

I do like Firebird RDBMS, and the ruby support for Firebird is quite decent. You should probably also download and test the personal versions of DB2, MS-SQL, and Oracle if you plan to distribute your application.

Perhaps you could give us a better idea of the scope of the problem?