Upload with iframe or ajax?

Hello,

I really wonder whether I should upload with ajax or with iframe. I don't know which way it should be the best of uploading file to the server? Please, give me some ideas.....

Thanks Chamnap

Unfortunately it is not possible to upload files with AJAX, since you can't read the file from the input[type=file] fields with javascript. If you go with the iframe method you should check out the responds_to_parent plugin, makes things a heck of a lot easier.

There is another alternative though, that's pretty nice if you're willing to endure some serious pain and frustration: you can upload files with flash. Digitarald (digitarald.de) made a nice prepackaged thingy for mootools, but it does need some tweaking for the Rails backend (like the CGI/session_id fix). I don't know of any script.aculo.us alternatives unfortunately.

/Jonas

SWFUpload is also a Flash based solution, search the list archives, I mentioned it a few times.

http://search.gmane.org/?query=SWFUpload&author=peter&group=gmane.comp.lang.ruby.rails&sort=relevance&DEFAULTOP=and&xP=swfupload&xFILTERS=Gcomp.lang.ruby.rails-Apeter+de+berdt—A

Best regards

Peter De Berdt