Updating the tutorial links

The ONLamp tutorials on rubyonrails.org are really outdated. Rails 2.1 has been out for quite some time now, but the tutorials are still for 1.x. This seriously confuses a lot of newcomers.

I've been searching for good Rails 2.x tutorials for some time now. Unfortunately, all the tutorials that I could find assume that the reader has previous Rails experience.

I recently found this tutorial: http://www.visionmasterdesigns.com/2008/08/tutorial-create-blog-using-ruby-on-rails-2-relationship/ It seems to be quite good. The author has also written tutorials on installing Ruby on Rails on Windows XP, and tutorials on getting started with Rails. He focuses on people who have no previous experience with Rails.

Would it be a good idea to link to him?

Hongli Lai wrote:

The ONLamp tutorials on rubyonrails.org are really outdated. Rails 2.1 has been out for quite some time now, but the tutorials are still for 1.x. This seriously confuses a lot of newcomers.

I've been searching for good Rails 2.x tutorials for some time now. Unfortunately, all the tutorials that I could find assume that the reader has previous Rails experience.

I recently found this tutorial: http://www.visionmasterdesigns.com/2008/08/tutorial-create-blog-using-ruby-on-rails-2-relationship/ It seems to be quite good. The author has also written tutorials on installing Ruby on Rails on Windows XP, and tutorials on getting started with Rails. He focuses on people who have no previous experience with Rails.

Would it be a good idea to link to him?

I think the ideal situation would be that we had documentation like this available in the guide format that's been kicking around the docrails repository for a while. But in the interest of up to date information, if there's somewhere else we can link to in the meantime then that's fine. As for that particular site, it's quite ad heavy, and I'm not sure the content's quite as beginner focussed as the rolling with rails articles were.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Is there any interest in seeing the original tutorials redone? Would Mr. Hibbs be open to this?

Mike B.