15 minute blog tutorial

Ever since Rails 2.0 has come out, the 15 minute tutorial on the site that is so popular is broken. How about we rally up the community to replace this with a proper tutorial that isn't broken? Many people would've tried the tutorial and given up, and it would be affecting the image of ruby on rails if an official video is broken.

Ryan Bigg wrote:

Ever since Rails 2.0 has come out, the 15 minute tutorial on the site that is so popular is broken. How about we rally up the community to replace this with a proper tutorial that isn't broken? Many people would've tried the tutorial and given up, and it would be affecting the image of ruby on rails if an official video is broken.

I think that's a great idea. My first exposure to Rails was that screencast. I didn't actually *use* Rails for another year, but it impressed me and gave me the confidence to make the switch.

The new screencast will need to incorporate DHH's "WHOOPS!" somehow. :wink:

Hi Ryan,

Yes I agree, that would be a great idea...

One thought - are you familiar with the four part tutorial covering RoR 2.0 and then onto 2.1 for parts 3 & 4.

They can be found here...

& here

cheers, Dave Porter

I'm familiar with those written tutorials, but I was just expressing
my feelings about the video on the main site being broken.

Maybe we could convince the other Ryan (Bates) to redo the 15-minute
blog tutorial himself? Now that would be pretty frickin' sweet.

Oh and one more point,

the 15 minute blog tutorial doesn't cover what I deem to be one of the best things in Rails: migrations. Instead, it uses mysqladmin, which isn't really that nice of a way to ensure you have a backup of your database if things go south.