Unknown action No action responded to show

Baba Bobo wrote:

sorry the correct/working URL for Profile page is http://localhost:3000/user/profile/1

Baba Bobo wrote:

If I add the following code to my only controller file "user_controller.rb"

def show   @user = User.find(params[:user])

respond_to do |format|     format.html # show.html.erb     format.xml { render :xml => @user }   end end

After which when i refresh the Registeration page at "http://localhost:3000/user/register" it gives me following message:

ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound in UserController#show Couldn't find User without an ID

Controllers are customarily named in the plural... UsersController, as opposed to UserController.

What does a "rake routes" report to you?

rake routes >routes.lst

Then peruse that file... You're mixing restful routes with "non-restful" ones I think, and earlier routes are evaluated before later in the routes.rb file, so your map.resources :user is probably masking the later definition for "profile".

With restful routes, you can add custom routing with:

map.resources :users, :member => {:profile => :get} (for a single user resource, there's a profile route and view, you provide the controller method, and the view)

or

map.resource :users, :collection => {:my_index => :get} (for a list of users, there's a my_index route and view, again you write the controller method and view)

or combine them (both member and collection specs).

Oh, and I think your    :id => User.find(params[:id]) is simply    :id => params[:id] no need for the find

Ar Chron wrote:

Controllers are customarily named in the plural... UsersController, as opposed to UserController.

What does a "rake routes" report to you?

Thanks for the prompt reply. I agree i am messing up somewhere with the restful routing. By the time i am playing with the custom routing you recommended, here are the things you asked.

### "rake routes" report as following:

user_index GET /user {:action=>"index", :controller=>"user"}

formatted_user_index GET /user.:format {:action=>"index", :controller=>"user"}

POST /user {:action=>"create", :controller=>"user"}

POST /user.:format {:action=>"create", :controller=>"user"}

new_user GET /user/new {:action=>"new", :controller=>"user"}

formatted_new_user GET /user/new.:format {:action=>"new", :controller=>"user"}

edit_user GET /user/:id/edit {:action=>"edit", :controller=>"user"}

formatted_edit_user GET /user/:id/edit.:format {:action=>"edit", :controller=>"user"}

user GET /user/:id {:action=>"show", :controller=>"user"}

formatted_user GET /user/:id.:format {:action=>"show", :controller=>"user"}

PUT /user/:id {:action=>"update", :controller=>"user"}

PUT /user/:id.:format {:action=>"update", :controller=>"user"}                      DELETE /user/:id {:action=>"destroy", :controller=>"user"}                      DELETE /user/:id.:format {:action=>"destroy", :controller=>"user"}                             /:controller/:action/:id                             /:controller/:action/:id.:format

### and routes.rb (withoug comments) is as following:

ActionController::Routing::Routes.draw do |map|   map.resources :user   map.connect ':controller/:action/:id'   map.connect ':controller/:action/:id.:format' end

By the way I have issue with the register page not the profile page.