"uninitialized constant PostsController::Post"

This time i read scaffold tutorial very carefully and finally try to generate a form without using the scaffold(just used a controller and view ).what i have done till now ,is as follow.Using rails 3.0.7.

"rails generate controller posts index"

1) post_controller.rb

class PostsController < ApplicationController   def index   @post=Post.new   end   def create   @post = Post.new(params[:post])   respond_to do |format|   end   end   end

2)index.html.erb

<h1>Posts#index</h1> <p>Find me in app/views/posts/index.html.erb</p> <%= link_to 'New Post', new_post_path%> <%= form_for(@post) do |f| %> <div class="field">     <%= f.label :name %><br />     <%= f.text_field :name %>   </div>   <div class="field">     <%= f.label :title %><br />     <%= f.text_field :title %>   </div>   <div class="field">     <%= f.label :content %><br />     <%= f.text_area :content %>   </div>   <div class="actions">     <%= f.submit %>   </div> <% end %>

i didnt create any model because i just want to create a simple form first.so when i brower to "localhost:3000/ posts/index", it says

"uninitialized constant PostsController::Post

Please somebody help to resolve it

Thanks

This time i read scaffold tutorial very carefully and finally try to generate a form without using the scaffold(just used a controller and view ).what i have done till now ,is as follow.Using rails 3.0.7.

"rails generate controller posts index"

1) post_controller.rb

class PostsController < ApplicationController def index @post=Post.new end def create @post = Post.new(params[:post]) respond_to do |format| end

2)index.html.erb

<h1>Posts#index</h1> <p>Find me in app/views/posts/index.html.erb</p> <%= link_to 'New Post', new_post_path%> <%= form_for(@post) do |f| %> <div class="field">    <%= f.label :name %><br />    <%= f.text_field :name %> </div> <div class="field">    <%= f.label :title %><br />    <%= f.text_field :title %> </div> <div class="field">    <%= f.label :content %><br />    <%= f.text_area :content %> </div> <div class="actions">    <%= f.submit %> </div> <% end %>

i didnt create any model because i just want to create a simple form first.so when i brower to "localhost:3000/ posts/index", it says

Please somebody help to resolve it

Thanks

You must have a model if you're going to call Post.new. That's where that 'new' method happens. The model tells the controller what fields it should initialize, which tells the view that the default values are whatever they are, etc. It's MVC, not VC!

Walter

&quot;rails generate controller posts

index"

1) post_controller.rb

class PostsController < ApplicationController def index @post=Post.new

Why are you making a post in the index action? This action should just be showing posts.

end def create @post = Post.new(params[:post]) respond_to do |format| end end end

2)index.html.erb

<h1>Posts#index</h1> <p>Find me in app/views/posts/index.html.erb</p> <%= link_to 'New Post', new_post_path%> <%= form_for(@post) do |f| %> <div class="field"> <%= f.label :name %><br /> <%= f.text_field :name %> </div> <div class="field"> <%= f.label :title %><br /> <%= f.text_field :title %> </div> <div class="field"> <%= f.label :content %><br /> <%= f.text_area :content %> </div> <div class="actions"> <%= f.submit %> </div> <% end %>

i didnt create any model because i just

want to create a simple form first.so when i brower to "localhost:3000/ posts/index", it says

You have not told us which line is failing, but I guess it is the one that says @post=Post.new which says make a new Post object, but since you have not written the Post model how can it make a Post object?

You cannot make a form for an object without defining the model first. form_for( @post ) makes a form for the object @post.

Colin

> This time i read scaffold tutorial very carefully and finally try to > generate a form without using the scaffold(just used a controller and > view ).what i have done till now ,is as follow.Using rails 3.0.7.

> "rails generate controller posts > index"

> 1) post_controller.rb

> class PostsController < ApplicationController > def index > @post=Post.new

Why are you making a post in the index action? This action should just be showing posts.

Yes Colin,this method was used for showing phosts.But this is not a ard and fast rule that it must be used for showing posts.I just doing experiment ,so used it for creating .

> end > def create > @post = Post.new(params[:post]) > respond_to do |format| > end > end > end

> 2)index.html.erb

> <h1>Posts#index</h1> > <p>Find me in app/views/posts/index.html.erb</p> > <%= link_to 'New Post', new_post_path%> > <%= form_for(@post) do |f| %> > <div class="field"> > <%= f.label :name %><br /> > <%= f.text_field :name %> > </div> > <div class="field"> > <%= f.label :title %><br /> > <%= f.text_field :title %> > </div> > <div class="field"> > <%= f.label :content %><br /> > <%= f.text_area :content %> > </div> > <div class="actions"> > <%= f.submit %> > </div> > <% end %>

> i didnt create any model because i just > want to create a simple form first.so when i brower to "localhost:3000/ > posts/index", it says

> "uninitialized constant PostsController::Post

You have not told us which line is failing, but I guess it is the one that says @post=Post.new which says make a new Post object, but since you have not written the Post model how can it make a Post object?

You cannot make a form for an object without defining the model first. form_for( @post ) makes a form for the object @post.

@Colin and Walter                        ok,model is must.Created a model as.                 "rails generate model post" and then did "rake db:create"(it created a database) and then "rake db:migrate"(it created a posts tables in database).but now when i browse to "locahost:3000/posts/index",it says

Showing /home/amrit/final/app/views/posts/index.html.erb where line #4 raised: undefined method `posts_path' for #<#<Class:0xb67f7784>:0xb67f5560>

Thanks for support!!

Amrit I cannot believe that you are asking that question. Look back through your questions and you will see you have asked similar questions several times. Always the answer is to rake routes to what routes you have defined (and so whether posts_path is valid) and to re-read the Rails Guides on Routing if you do not know how to get that path defined.

Can you explain how it is that you have to keep asking the question?

Am I the only one thinking that this poster is winding us up?

Colin

Not at all.He is new to Rails So I think we should help him to         resolve the issue.

Since post 1 I've thought you're banging your head against a wall :-/

Stuff like "this is not a [h]ard and fast rule that it must be used for showing posts." is ridiculous... If he wants to "just doing experiment" and use the index action to create, then be surprised at problems, then he's on a limb on his own.

I'm all for helping people, but they've got to help themselves first [1]. No-one is here to be anyone else's crutch 24/7.

[1] or at least be able to help themselves with some prompting....

Thank you for support sir.

Ok John. Thanks for volunteering to help sort Amrit out. Over to you.

Good luck

Colin