Understanding Form_for

OK, so I'm an absolute noob at Ruby on Rails. I've read a lot of information I can find about form_for and most of them use form_for to create new items that get saved into the database and can be viewed later to edit, destroy, etc. In this case, the database will fill up with whatever the user wrote and I just want my program to have no information stored.

I've been trying to take a user's input from the text_field or file_field and once they hit the "submit" button, they get redirected to another page that, for instance, says "You wrote: [insert user input here]" I've been having no luck whatsoever doing this except to use HTML form, but I was hoping I can do this in Ruby on Rails.

Thanks for any help, anon_comp

If the form is not associated with a model then form_tag may be more appropriate.

Colin

Going by your suggestion, Colin, my project looks like this

trying_controller.rb: class TryingController < ApplicationController   def index   end

def to     @name = params[:title]   end end

index.html.erb: <% form_tag :action => :to %> <label for="name">Name:</label> <%= text_field_tag :name, params[:name] %> <%= submit_tag "OK" %> </form>

to.html.erb: Name: <%= @name %>

The submit button doesn't work...

In what way does it not work?

Did you check the html to see if it is what you expect?

I think it should be :action = 'to' rather than :to

Also when things are not working as you expect the log file (log/development.log) can often be useful in analysing the problem.

Colin

When I hit the "OK" button nothing happens, it stays on the same page.

I ran the server and looked at the page if that's what you mean, yes.

I meant that you should check that the html for the form is correct html for a form with a submit button. I think you may find that there is a </form> where you do not expect it, (separate from the one you have manually added).

Looking at your code you have got the use of form_tag wrong. Unfortunately you have snipped your original code so it is difficult to insert the corrections. Have another look at the docs for form_tag, you will see there should be a 'do' there and there is no need to add the </form> yourself.

I think it should be :action = 'to' rather than :to

It didn't affect anything, I beleive they mean the same thing.

They don't mean the same thing, though sometimes they are interchangeable. I am not sure in this case, again check the html to see if it is correct.

Colin

When I hit the "OK" button nothing happens, it stays on the same page.

I ran the server and looked at the page if that's what you mean, yes.

I meant that you should check that the html for the form is correct html for a form with a submit button. I think you may find that there is a </form> where you do not expect it, (separate from the one you have manually added).

Use View, Page Source, or similar, in your browser to view the html.

Colin

Problem solved.

Thank you very much Colin for the excellent help :slight_smile:

I just had to change the def to in my controller

class TryingController < ApplicationController   def index   end

def to     @name = params[:name]   end end