undefined method `model_name' for NilClass:Class

Hi guys, I just started using Ruby on Rails. After implementing the RoR blog tutorial I started with my own data model. Sadly I am not able to get my create page running.

Model: class Activity < ActiveRecord::Base validates :activity, :presence => true validates :forKids, :presence => true validates :start_date, :presence => true end

Controller: class ActivitiesController < ApplicationController   def index     @activities = Activity.all

respond_to do |format|       format.html # index.html.erb       format.json { render json: @activities }     end     end   end

def new     @activity = Activity.new

respond_to do |format|       format.html # new.html.erb       format.json { render json: @activity }     end   end

View: <h1>New Activity</h1>

<%= render 'form' %>

<%= link_to 'Back', activities_path %>

and partial: <%= form_for(@activity) do |f| %>   <% if @activity.errors.any? %>     <div id="error_explanation">       <h2><%= pluralize(@activity.errors.count, "error") %> prohibited this activity from being saved:</h2>

<ul>       <% @activity.errors.full_messages.each do |msg| %>         <li><%= msg %></li>       <% end %>       </ul>     </div>   <% end %>

<div class="field">     <%= f.label :activity %><br />     <%= f.text_field :activity %>   </div>   <div class="field">     <%= f.label :responsible %><br />     <%= f.text_field :responsible %>   </div>

I always get the following error message:

NoMethodError in Activities#new

Showing .../app/views/activities/_form.html.erb where line #1 raised: undefined method `model_name' for NilClass:Class

Extracted source (around line #1): 1: <%= form_for(@activity) do |f| %> 2: <% if @activity.errors.any? %> 3: <div id="error_explanation"> 4: <h2><%= pluralize(@activity.errors.count, "error") %> prohibited this activity from being saved:</h2>

I found several posts about the same error message but so far I wasn't able to figure out the problem with @activity being nil. Shouldn't it be initialized by @activity = Activity.new in the controller?

Thanks Julian

I think the problem is that you have just used <%= render 'form' %> to render the form. You have not passed the @activity variable to the form. Have a look at the Rails Guide on Layouts and Rendering for how to use :locals to pass variables when rendering a partial.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #1056490:

I think the problem is that you have just used <%= render 'form' %> to render the form. You have not passed the @activity variable to the form. Have a look at the Rails Guide on Layouts and Rendering for how to use :locals to pass variables when rendering a partial.

Colin

Thanks for your response Colin. I tried to test it without the partial so I replaced the <%= render 'form' %> with the body of the partial but I still get the same error message. So the passing of the variable into the partial cannot be the reason for the problem.

Colin Law wrote in post #1056490:

Colin

Thanks for your response Colin. I tried to test it without the partial so I replaced the <%= render 'form' %> with the body of the partial but I still get the same error message. So the passing of the variable into the partial cannot be the reason for the problem.

Put the form back in the view if you really think that and try again. If you still get the error then post the view and the error message. Copy and paste, do not retype.

Colin

new.html.erb

<h1>New Activity</h1>

<%= form_for @activity do |f| %>     <% if @activity.errors.any? %>         <div id="error_explanation">           <h2><%= pluralize(@activity.errors.count, "error") %> prohibited this activity from being saved:</h2>

<ul>             <% @activity.errors.full_messages.each do |msg| %>                 <li><%= msg %></li>             <% end %>           </ul>         </div>     <% end %>

<div class="field">       <%= f.label :activity %><br />       <%= f.text_field :activity %>     </div>     <div class="field">       <%= f.label :responsible %><br />       <%= f.text_field :responsible %>     </div>     <div class="field">       <%= f.label :mail %><br />       <%= f.text_field :mail %>     </div>     <div class="field">       <%= f.label :phone %><br />       <%= f.text_field :phone %>     </div>     <div class="field">       <%= f.label :link %><br />       <%= f.text_field :link %>     </div>     <div class="field">       <%= f.label :forKids %><br />       <%= f.text_field :forKids %>     </div>     <div class="field">       <%= f.label :start_date %><br />       <%= f.text_field :start_date %>     </div>     <div class="field">       <%= f.label :end_date %><br />       <%= f.text_field :end_date %>     </div>     <div class="field">       <%= f.label :iteration %><br />       <%= f.text_field :iteration %>     </div>     <div class="actions">       <%= f.submit %>     </div> <% end %>

NoMethodError in Activities#new

Showing .../app/views/activities/new.html.erb where line #3 raised: undefined method `model_name' for NilClass:Class

Extracted source (around line #3): 1: <h1>New Activity</h1> 2: 3: <%= form_for @activity do |f| %> 4: <% if @activity.errors.any? %> 5: <div id="error_explanation"> 6: <h2><%= pluralize(@activity.errors.count, "error") %> prohibited this activity from being saved:</h2>

Hi guys, I just started using Ruby on Rails. After implementing the RoR blog tutorial I started with my own data model. Sadly I am not able to get my create page running.

Model: class Activity < ActiveRecord::Base validates :activity, :presence => true validates :forKids, :presence => true validates :start_date, :presence => true end

Controller: class ActivitiesController < ApplicationController def index @activities = Activity.all

respond_to do |format| format.html # index.html.erb format.json { render json: @activities } end end end

What does the last end match with?

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #1056501:

I don't understand why that did not give an error, the controller#new method should not have been found.

For future similar problems have a look at the Rails Guide on Debugging. It will show you how to debug the code so that these problems can be more easily found.

Colin